Chapter 3-A Day at the Fern Manor

Catherine

That girl who came earlier today was more interesting than most other people that came to see Miss Delaney. As for that matter, she was far more noble than most who came to see the Fern's. From the carriage to her lovely dress, she practically breathed riches and nobility. Why Luke was yelling at her, I have no idea. She could have punished him severely. I can not even began to mention all the possible punishments.
I shuttered, a shiver going down my delicate spine. The weird thing was that I remember a carriage that looked very similar coming to the Fern's a lot when I was a little girl, around the time Luke turned three years of age.
Once that girl left, Luke came up behind me and murmured, "Did she say anything to you?"
I screamed for one second causing him to put his hand over my mouth. My heart was hammering away in my chest, and I could barely breath.
He cursed, "Jesus, girl. Do you want to wake the whole house?! You know how my mother and sister can be. Now answer my question!"
"Sorry, sir. You took me by surprise."
     "Wow! No kidding," He muttered, rolling his eyes.
Although I was still feeling light-headed from Luke startling me, I looked at him somewhat sternly, "Anyway I talked to her," holding up my hand I continued, "And before you say anything, I talked to her so you could be excused for you behavior to her. She is a very rich and noble lady, after all."
     He stared at me, "How do you know that?"
I sighed, "Not to be rude, sir, but do you seriously take me as a fool? I might be a maid, but I do at least have some common sense. The carriage and dress gave it away."
     I curtsied, "Have a good day, sir! I have chores to do."
As I left the room I turned down the hall and let out a breath of relief, I can not believe I just did that, after all he is a master, I am a mere servant.

Luke

That maid, Catherine, left the room and she left me speechless. My jaw dropped at her last few statements. She was unbelievably smart for a maid and surprisingly composed with civilities most took a lifetime to master. I had met no one like her before. She is a light in a dull, dark world. She is also a rare beauty for a maid.
I walked back to the parlor, where my brother waited for me. He looked at me, musing, "What did you learn?"
I shook my head still unable to answer or even talk. I paced in front of the fireplace when Alex said out of nowhere, "It is that maid isn't it."
I stopped dead in my tracks, another wave of shock rolling through me. I gasped, "What did you say?"
Just then, Catherine strolled in. I turned away trying to hid my face, which was turning red and flushed. Alex laughed behind his hand. This made me mad because the situation was not amusing in any way. I found myself still at a loss of words.
Catherine curtsied and inquired respectfully, "Sir Luke and Alex, do you wish to have your breakfast now or do you want lunch?"
Alex suddenly became serious, "Luke?"
I was a well bred Englishman. I could be calm. I put my hands behind my back and told Catherine, "Lunch is fine."
She walked to the kitchen to tell our head cook, Harry. I relaxed once she was out of the room. I fell into a chair, exhausted, and Alex pulled up a chair next to me. With a hand on my shoulder, he whispered, "It's okay, brother, but may I ask why you......you know....like her?"
I shrugged, "I do not know. Maybe it's how smart she is for her rank in society or the fact she is so shy, yet completely cute at the same time," I smiled. I remember all the times she had run away from me in fright when we were young children. Even then there was always something I felt about her. I guess I have always felt protective of her.

Delaney

I woke up at around ten o'clock and my maid helped me get dressed. I then strolled downstairs positive everything is normal, but of course a servant has to ruin it. That maid, Catherine, curtsied and informed me, "Miss Lee came to see you while you were still sleeping and she left a message. She told me to tell you she wishes you a wonderful birthday."
She stopped and started to look nervous. This maid was keeping something from me.
I will not stand for this.
"What else happened?" I questioned, glaring at her.
Catherine flinched, trying to back out of this.
"You are treading in dangerous waters if you do not tell me this instant!" I warned.
She looked at me, terror in her wide eyes, "She and your brother, Luke, had an argument that made him force her out of the house."
"LUKE!!!" I shrieked.
My idiotic brother came out of the parlor and looked between me and Catherine, concerned what was the problem. I looked him over. He was obviously shaken up over something and was trying to cover it up with formalities.
"What is the problem, sis?" He asked, puzzled.
"Do not call me sis and how dare you insult a Lee! This maid informed me that you had an argument with Rosie Lee and had her removed from the manor." I screamed.
Luke's face turned white with fright and then red with embarrassment. He glanced at Catherine. He shuffled his feet. He was more nervous than irritated as I thought he was going to be. Odd.
"Catherine you are dismissed from this conversation. Return to your chores." He ordered the maid.
"I argued with Rosie Lee because she insulted one of her friends and I brought this to her attention." Luke said, glaring angrily at me.
I was confused about my brother. Why was he suddenly angry with me? He must have seen my confusion because he shook his head and went back to the parlor where I assume he is eating breakfast or lunch with Alex. Boys are weird, especially my brothers.

Alex

"What did you tell Delaney?" I asked when Luke entered the parlor after his conversation with our sister.
Luke shook his head, "You heard what she said?"
I laughed with amusement, "The whole house heard what she said! She was screaming that loud."
"Wonder if she woke Mother up?" Luke pondered.
I have always found Luke to be extremely funny, but this was the best jokes he has ever made as far as I recall. Luke suddenly whispered as if to himself, "Catherine was there for the whole conversation."
I feel bad for my dear brother. He loves someone who he knows society will never let him marry. It must break his heart everyday when he sees her. We both continued eating our lunch. Luke was still sad and looked quite downhearted by the time we were finished. He continued to be quiet when Catherine entered the parlor to take away our lunch.
I cleared my throat, "Thank you."
I glanced pointedly at my brother who just looked at me stupidly, sorrow clouding his deep blue eyes like mist on a lake.

Harry

"Catherine! Do you have the dishes so we can clean them?" I yelled over the clatter of pots and pans.
Catherine entered right then with the dishes, obviously humming to herself. She twirled around. "They are right here, Harry." She happily informed me.
"Dear child, you need to stop day-dreaming."
"I know." She sighed and glanced out the window wistfully.
I called over to my assistant, Mary, "Help her out, please."
With a knowing and determined look Mary strolled over to Catherine and pulled her aside, talking to her. As every word washed Catherine, she seemed to grow more sad and angry.
"Ugh! Why am I a servant?" She cried out and ran out of the room.
Mary shook her head and apologized for upsetting Catherine, "Sorry about that, Harry. What are we going to do with her?"
After realizing what she just said, she flinched, "Woops! Forgot she is your daughter."
I almost corrected her, but decided to say, "Just get back to work! That goes for everyone!"
All the kitchen workers, who probably overheard Catherine's outcry, went back to their jobs. But inside my heart was breaking, I had to watch over Catherine and I had to agree with Mary that I didn't know what to do with Catherine.

Mary

Catherine is a very odd child indeed. She is always humming, smiling to herself, and spontaneously twirling. That silly girl, so sweet, yet completely naive. The kitchen was always full of gossip, but today there was an unusual amount. I would say twice as much as any other day. I guess some of it was due to the ball. Harry seemed so irritated earlier when I reminded him Catherine is his daughter that I watched over the sharing of gossip, making sure everyone was still getting their job done. There is times I want to help poor Harry who is nearly at retirement. Unfortunately the Ferns forbid servants helping each other in their personal lives. I never liked that rule. "Catherine, dear, can you come here?" I called out.
Curiosity spilled from her intelligent brown eyes, "Yes, Mary?"
"Can you take this food to Sir Luke and Sir Henry, so they can check if it's good enough for any guests? Harry is trying to come up with some new recipes from guests." I carefully explained, letting her drink in my words.
She eagerly replied, "Of course! I'll be back!"
I laughed at her energy as she practically sprinted out of the kitchen. Well, that was taken care of. Now to do some real useful work.