Chapter 5-Nothing But the Truth

Catherine

As Mary helped dress me, I could not help, but be confused. Why was this happening? What was going on? Did I do something wrong? Why was Mary serving me as if I was her better, or higher rank than her in society? Should I even be wearing this dress? Does any of this have to do with the mysterious guest? Who is this guest? Why was Lady Marissa nervous about this particularly guest? These questions whirled through my mind, almost giving me a headache.
Before I left the room to head downstairs, I looked at myself in the mirror. I still resembled myself, but all that made me a simple servant girl to a noble family was replaced with rich, silk garments. My once ugly, plain clothing were now a purple and white dress with gloves and a beautiful pair of heels. My brown hair was now curled  and styled according to the newest fashion. Around my neck I wore a tiny, delicate, expensive-looking golden key. I was stunning. I felt torn. I was starting to be their equal, yet I had lost a part of myself along the way. This scared me, but somehow I felt relieved, like I was finally becoming myself.
Mary curtsied and informed me, "You must get going. You will be late, miss."
I shook my head, confusion spreading through me. I am a servant unworthy to be called miss, yet here I am being called miss by someone I used to consider a mother-like figure. I left the room and started to head down the main stairwell. Before I reached the door to the dining room reserved for special guests, I stopped. I was trembling from head to toe for reasons I cannot quite explain. As I stared at my shaking hands, I saw the two servants who were about to open the door look bewildered at each other. The girl on the left whispered, "Cathy? Is that you?"
Raising my head, I realized the girl was none other than my closest friend at the manor, Josephine. My cheeks started to burn, I could not go into the dining room because almost everyone who has actually cared about me and my well-being were servants. They were not rich like the Fern's or noble like the Lee's, but they were loyal and loving. I nearly cried, but I held myself together. Instead of crying, I mumbled, "What am I doing?"
I steadied my breathing and shaking hands, taking a step towards the door. Josephine stared at me as if she no longer recognized me. This stung, but I continued on walking towards the now open doors. Once inside, I saw Alex and Luke watching me, along with Lady Marissa and an unfamiliar-looking lady.

Elizabeth

My voice cracked when I called, "Catherine? Is that you, dear children?"
She looked startled, "Yes, that is I."
I started to tear up and I walked over to her in awe. "You know you have your father's face with my hair and eyes," I informed her.
I could see the confusion on her face as she realized what I was saying. She remarked, "Who are you?"
I tried to answer calmly, but it came out shaken, "I am your mother, Elizabeth Marie Melanie Yarmouth the First. I am the queen of this country."
Her mouth dropped and she let out a bellowing scream of horror as she bolted through the doorway, away from me. Catherine's reaction wounded me and left me feeling quite hollow. Was I so horrible that this precious child would run away from me? When Catherine left, Luke looked crushed and he ran after her yelling, "Catherine, please, come back!"
He started calling out, desperation leaking into his voice. I felt lost, alone, and above all I was sad. I had been prepared to welcome Catherine into my life for years and she just ran at the sight of me. Everything I had prepared for was lost. She was gone, out of reach. What was I going to do now.

Harry

I knew the secret would eventually come out, but I never thought, or even imagined, that Catherine would figure it out before she turned eighteen. I feared the worse when I saw Lady Marissa and a woman, who must be Catherine's mother, come into the kitchen. Both had come into the kitchen with ashen faces, drained of all color. This was the first time I had seen Lady Marissa come into the kitchen since the night, almost eighteen years ago, she asked me to take care of Catherine.
I was not wrong to expect the worst, but what I did not expect was the news they had brought with them. Lady Marissa whispered in a cautious voice, "Catherine is missing. We think she ran away."
"What!" I exclaimed in astonishment, "Did you ask Sir Luke to look in Catherine's hiding spot."
Lady Marissa shook her head in confusion, her blonde hair shaking back and forth as she moved her head. I guess she is unaware that Catherine likes to flee to her hiding spot under the main stairwell. Sometimes she will even duck under the stairwell during a ball, so she can be apart of the ball in some way. Another ball awaits her in an unknown place. This place will feel like a whole new world and she will need a few friends to back her up.