Chapter 4-Mystery Guest

Catherine

I rushed out of the kitchen as fast as I could to quickly find Luke. I ran down the west hall and into the parlor where I found Sir Alex and Miss Delaney having an intense conversation. "Oh sorry! I am looking for Sir Luke, for Harry wants him to taste the new guest menu." I said, curtsying.

Miss Delaney looked at me with a goofy expression I can't quite place, "Who is Harry?"

I was utterly shocked. I informed her, "Why, he is the head cook!"

She shrugged as if to say she did not care. Annoyed I turned to Sir Alex, "Can you get your brother, sir?"

He grinned at me and replied, "It would be my pleasure."

"Why waste civilities on a stupid servant such as her? Why does it matter if we are polite to such people?" Miss Delaney questioned her brother.

He took a breath gasping, "Why you ask? Why not? They are always there for us, being reliable. Why not be there for them in at least polite conversation?"

I was so grateful right now I could cry. Sir Alex defended me and the other servants while putting us in high regards. Miss Delaney, on the other hand, scoffed at her brother, "You're defending them? Being there for us is their job! They are worthless, idiotic, low-lying people who do not matter in society!"

Sir Alex inhaled sharply, glancing at his sister, trying to tell her to stop talking, but she did not, "Who cares about the servants? It is pointless!"

That put me over the edge and I ran out of the room almost in tears once again, heading towards the kitchen to get comfort from Harry and Mary. But when I got to the doors to the kitchen, I heard voices slightly down the hallway that sounded like Harry and Mary whispering. I walked in the general direction of the noise and listening, not wanting to interrupt.

"She is silly and always daydreaming. She needs to stop!" Mary said.

Curious as to whom they are talking about I leaned in closer. Harry sighed, "I know that, but she is still only a child. Let her be. She is in love, even though she should know it will never happen."

Mary agreed, "Catherine is just being stupid then for liking him anyway!"

Still unnerved from the talk with Miss Delaney, I finally burst out crying as I tore down the hall. "Wait! Catherine! Let me explain!" Harry cried in panic.

But I pretended to not hear him hollering. I ran to my secret hideaway under the main staircase. I hid in the corner of the tiny room and rocked back and forth, trying to calm down, but failed miserably. After crying for a while, someone entered my hideout and saw me crying. The person whispered, "Oh Catherine! I heard what happened with Delaney. Everything will be okay! I'm right here for you!"

The voice was so soothing and I eventually stopped crying. I turned to thank this person for helping me and found myself face-to-face with none other than Luke! My heart raced and my breathe nearly stopped as I looked at his handsome and caring face.

Luke

Seeing her crying under the main stairwell made my heart break into pieces. Her delicate body shook and trembled. As I watched her cry in my arms, I found myself becoming angry at Delaney for doing this to Catherine. She would pay for this, but I must first make sure Catherine was going to be fine. Catherine is the most beautiful girl I have ever met, I realized when I held in my arms. She is intelligent, brave, and compassionate. I can tell she loves being a servant for the most part, not including being mistreated by my sister and mother. In some ways, those two act scared of her, which is really weird. I pulled Catherine up onto her feet like she weighed nothing as these thoughts whipped through my mind. I asked, "Are you okay, Catherine?"