Chapter 3

Nadine knew James was following her, and it would only take a matter of time before the boy would catch up and materialize beside her.

She thought she had already lost him after taking a little detour, making sharp turns throughout the hallway whenever she could, but boy was she wrong. James was right behind her trail, stubborn and very much determined to have a word with her.

She had to get rid of him, one way or another. He would only complicate things. And Nadine didn't need any more complications.

She reached one of the university's abandoned buildings, the area clear of any students. Her eyes then spot a nearby tree and Nadine immediately took action. In one swift motion, she leaped and clinged onto the lowest branch which looked sturdy enough to hold her and her weight, swinging herself several times before letting go, landing herself perfectly on top of the branch.

She did the exact same thing with a few more branches, covering higher ground. She almost lost balance on her fourth branch but she was quick enough to grab hold of the tree's trunk for support.

Once she was sure she was out of view from where James would probably appear, she crouched down and waited in silence.

Any second now.

James appeared from out of the shadows, looking around the vicinity with his eyebrows creased, his lips set into a thin line. He looked pissed.

Nadine was nowhere to be found.

He had lost her, again.

James started cussing, kicking an innocent little rock as he walked aimlessly around the area. Little did he know, Nadine was watching him from afar in one of the trees.

That was all until a branch cracked. The cracking definitely captured James' attention. And Nadine's too.

Well, shit.

Nadine whispered to herself. She then tried scooting a bit closer to the tree's trunk, trying to not put any more weight on the branch, seeing as it was so close to breaking. She had to buy time before the branch gave in. But how? James cautiously approached the tree, inching closer and closer. He was about to lift his gaze when..

Wow, fantastic baby! Dance!

"What the-" He growled as his phone rang. Out of all the songs in the world, his ringtone just had to be this. The song he hated the most. Then it finally hit him. Who else would mess with his phone, anyway?

"Henz, I will fucking wring your neck once I get home," James hissed. He shook his head and glanced down at the caller ID, his anger vanishing almost immediately as a small smirk graced his precious lips.

"Baby boo." He cooed, leaning against the tree.

**

It took James 3 whole minutes before he left, and Nadine managed to keep herself hidden despite him being directly under her hiding spot. The branch cracked a few more times but James seemed completely oblivious to all of it since he was too pre-occupied, obviously enjoying his conversation with 'baby boo' or whoever the fuck that was.

Nadine didn't mean to eavesdrop and all, but damn, she had no choice. It was disgusting, though. And a very horrible experience. Just remembering the whole thing made her cringe, even though she could only hear James and his replies.

The branch cracked again. And Nadine knew then and there, she was screwed. That that was it. She was way too up, and she couldn't possibly take the fall without injuring herself, if she was lucky enough, she would probably only break a bone or two. She inhaled sharply and braced herself for what's to come.

Crack!

She felt herself falling into thin air, everything happening so quickly. She waited for her body to hit and make contact with the ground, yet nothing happened. Instead, she made contact with something. Or should I say someone.

That someone came stumbling to the ground from the sudden impact, catching Nadine just in the nick of time. His arms were wrapped tightly around her waist, shielding her, making sure she stays unharmed as his body harshly hits the ground.

"Nadine." He groaned, "Are you okay?"

**

Author's Note: Just a short update to make up for my inactivity! Sorry if it's a bit sloppy and rushed! I'll try to make it up to you guys soon. Screw you, writer's block. *sighs*

Always,
Ché