Epilogue

"It didn't bug you?" Terezi asked, sitting next to Karkat and holding his hand as though her life depended on it. "That Kanaya didn't like me- didn't like us?"

"No, not really." He said, feet dangling over the edge of the victory platform. "She was just doing what she does best."

"Which is?"

"Being a mom."

Terezi laughed at that, her head thrown back in real amusement. "You only know what a mom is thanks to Dave and Rose. Those idiots have so much interesting tidbits about human culture."

"Yeah, they're pretty cool." Karkat said happily. "These part three years with them have been really fun."

"Is that the only reason why it was fun?" Terezi joked, prodding him in the ribs.

"Yeah, that's the only one I can think of. Besides, oh, a beautiful girl with a penchant for licking things and a mother-friend with a girlfriend."

She smiled at him, but the light of it dimmed a bit. "It's certainly been an interesting run. You losing Gamzee as your moirail, and me gaining Vriska- Rose and Kanaya getting together, and meeting our ancestors. What do you think about all of this?"

He was quiet for a moment, thoughts running through his mind. After what seemed too long, though, Karkat spoke up- and smiled at her. "I think it would've been a lot worse if I didn't have you by my side. No matter what happens, I know I'll be okay- if you're there with me."

She kissed him once, on the cheek, but Karkat took her face in his hands- gently- and kissed her on those soft, black, cherry lips. 

"I'll always be with you, Karkat." Terezi whispered. 

"I know."