chapter 11

"How do I look?" I asked Chloe, while putting on my 4-inch silver pumps. I had chosen an elegant royal-blue gown. It was sleeveless and the neckline was stylishly beaded and sequined.

"You look gorgeous, honey. I won't be surprised if Mr Hottie decided to ditch his bride and marry you instead." Chloe replied mischievously. She wore a maroon cocktail dress and 6-inch black killer heels. She had added a black leather choker. I admired her audacity. We were going to a wedding where we hardly knew anyone, which was likely to be attended by snobbish people who would not hesitate to judge and condemn people. Chloe did not let that knowledge stop her from doing what she wanted to do and I wished more than ever that I could more brave.

I sighed heavily.

"Chloe, that's rubbish and you know it!"

"What! I was just thinking out loud. And you never know, it might actually happen because, my dear friend, you look drop dead gorgeous. Or unexpected things might happen, like finding your soulmate at the wedding."

I smiled. Chloe had always been there for me and always knew how to cheer me up. She was one of a kind.

"Let's go before we are late for the wedding, shall we?"

After driving for a good forty minutes, we reached the venue. It was buzzing with activity. Wedding planners and caterers running about, making last minute preparations and rechecking everything to achieve perfection. Meetings between the two families. Hyperactive children running around in their smart suits and dresses.

I immediately spotted Sebastian conversing with another man. He was easy to spot since he was a head taller than most men. He looked handsome in a fitting tuxedo, unlike the tight one on that unfortunate day. What caught my attention was his royal blue bowtie. It was the same shade as my dress. I had a fleeting image of us attending someone's wedding in matching colors and I shook my head to dismiss the vivid image and the unexpected pang of longing.

As if sensing my presence, he turned his head. He briefly scanned me from head to toe and raised his eyes again to meet mine. Strangely, he held the eye contact until Chloe cleared her throat.

Approaching us with a polite smile, he said,

"Both of you are looking very beautiful. Thank you for coming."

Then he introduced his friend to us,

"Ladies, this is Gerard Blake. Ger, these beautiful ladies are Chloe Banes and Evelyn Lerman."

Gerard was an attractive man and was as tall as Sebastian. He had a friendly attitude and I liked him. He shook my hands giving me a warm look. I instantly felt welcome and not like the intruder I was.

After talking for a few minutes, they had to leave because the groom and his best man had to be inside before others.

At exactly 1:00 pm, the ceremony started. Willow looked absolutely radiant and gasps could be heard among the audience when she entered the chapel. I could see the pride and joy in her father's eyes as he walked his beautiful daughter down the aisle. I didn't want to risk looking at Sebastian knowing that he would have the same loving look. However, as if I wanted to torture myself further, I glanced at him only to see that he was already looking at me. What was more surprising was that he had the same loving look.

I was very confused. Didn't he love Willow? Of course he did. Who wouldn't love that woman. Then why was he looking at me like that? Maybe he had sight impairment and he thought I was Willow. I scoffed at that thought. Nobody, not even a blind man, would mistook me for such a sophisticated lady.

While I was having my internal conversation, the bride had already reached the end of the aisle and her father was handing her hand over to the groom. Wait! Did he just gave her hand to Sebastian's best man, Gerard? Maybe I was the one who was having a sight impairment.

The rest of the ceremony went smoothly and for me, in a blur, as Willow Richards and Gerard Blake exchanged their vows.

I was more confused than ever. What the hell is happening? Didn't Sebastian told me he was getting married? On second thoughts, he did not. He told me to attend the wedding but didn't particularly mention that it was his. Then what about the looks of betrayal and guilt each of them had during our date. How were they related? They didn't share the same last name. And they were together for their dress fitting.

I left the chapel right after the formal ceremony and went in search of a restroom. Chloe refused to go with me because she had spotted the table laden with various kinds of drinks. I was partly irritated but partly thankful because I wanted to be alone for sometime and gather my thoughts before I go looking for answers. I absolutely needed the time to calm myself because I have a feeling that Chloe had deliberately kept me in the dark and had everything to do with this whole drama. And when I confront her, it would certainly not be pretty.