Chapter 5

So sorry I haven't wrote! A recap of last chapter is violet and Cayden hung out and held Hands. Cayden is starting to open up a little bit more. Also when she went to pick him up he noticed the time and had to rush them leaving, which reasoning was left unanswered.

Chapter 5: violets pov

"Today class, we will be starting paired assignments! I will leave the choice up to you so choose wisely. You may alter your current assigned seating for the weeks we will spend on the assignment." Ms.Palomo's voice boomed.

An excited whisper bubbled from all the students in the class. A few of my friends asked me to be their partner, but I politely declined. I made my way to the back of the class and say right next to Cayden.

He looked up in shock. "You want to be my partner? I saw your friends ask you..." He said and looked down.

I smiled brightly at him and replied "You're my friend too."

He grinned-not a complete smile but almost. I have never seen him smile a real, happy, eye-reaching smile. I frowned slightly at the thought but quickly ignored it.

"So what do you want to do the assignment on?" He asked.

This assignment was something everyone looked forward to. It was a presentation based on whatever topic we draw from the list. It's a few week process and is worth about half our grade. In it you have to write an essay, create a power point, posters, and other relating things.

Ms.Palomo walked around to each table with a jar of paper pieces. Each pair took their turn drawing from the jar. Our turn came and I reached my hand in and pulled out a scrap.

Unfolding it and tilting It so Cayden could see I read one single bold word: Love. Love? I frowned. That's not what I was expecting at all. Most people got interesting topics like the impact of sports, teen behavioral studies, or something along those lines.

Love was so vague. What about it? What could we possibly base an entire assignment about love? I glanced at Cayden and noticed he seemed puzzled as well.

The bell rang and the class erupted in a hurried frenzy to leave class. I mentally sighed, now I have to leave Cayden. We said our goodbyes and headed to class.

***Caydens P.O.V***

After getting changed for weight lifting class, I headed into a room of sweaty jocks. Today was a free day; we got to go to whichever station we desired.

I ran a few laps on the track, then headed by the water fountains. Toby- the quarterback- was huddled in a group with his friends.

As I was gulping down the cooling water, I overheard Violets name. I listen closer.

"I don't know man, Tracy is hot but not as smokin' as Violet." I hear Toby say. I grit my teeth and forced myself to hear more.

"Oh! Is that the girl in the picture you showed me? The one running out on the track in a sports bra and shorts?" One of his bonehead friends says.

"Yeah man, took it myself!" Toby says proudly. "I was headed out to the field to get my water bottle I forgot, then boom! She comes running by. You should have seen the way her ass-" he was cut off mid sentence by a punch to the face... By me.

I cock my arm back and get one more punch in before his buddies separate us. If it weren't for him being held back as well, he'd be in my face.

"Talk about her like that again ill rip your fucking head off!" I pant out.

Toby spots Mr.Bradshaw and dusts away his friends grip.

"You do NOT know who you're messing with." he threatens and walks away.

His friends push me aside and follow Toby. My face was still red with anger. How dare he talk about Violet like a piece of meat.

I angrily dress myself and storm out of the locker room. I'm glad the teacher didn't catch me fighting or else I'd get suspended. Normally that wouldn't bother me, but then I couldn't see Violet which would suck.

***

Later that day, at lunch, I was sitting in the far corner table in the cafeteria. I pick at my food and look around. Violet is walking towards my table with a smile on her face. Man, she's beautiful.

"Hey Cayden!" She chirps and takes a seat.

I wonder if she's heard about the fight. "Hey. How was class?" I ask.

"Boring as usual" she giggles. "What about you?"

"Well, Toby Rollen got punched in the face." I say nervously.

Her face contorts with surprise and concern. "Oh my gosh! Why?" She questions.

"Okay, don't be mad. I did it." I confess and look down.

She stays silent for a minute. "Did you get hurt?" She asks.

I shake my head no. She smiles a little and says "okay, I guess that's all that matters."

Her words shock me. I would have thought she'd be mad. This just goes to show how amazing she is.

"Why did you do it?" She asks me.

Uh oh... What am I supposed to tell her?