The Sleepover

Raising my right arm then, waving a hand up in the air as I tried to call for a cab made me look so stupid but I did not care as long as I would not make him wait. With the sense of urgency, I immediately unloaded the cab and grabbed my bag of clothes and hurriedly climbed the stairs. The moment I arrived back in the office, I was wondering if they had left without me. The air was so calm that it might not even recognize my presence. As I wallow to the idea of them leaving me behind, a tinted shadow was reflected on the door window. As I moved closer to that door, a fire ignited from my core seeing his sleeping face was just so adorable to bear.

Me: (speaking inaudibly) Kawaiiiii...

Abruptly, he stood up from the bench noticing my nearby presence. Walking towards me as if there is a melody of Bakit Ngayon Ka Lang? played in the background.

Bryan: I thought you are not coming back.
Me: How can I say no to my boss? (If only life permitted me on saying, how can I say no to the person I admire? I would really give it a try.)
Bryan: Oh, right! I think we are all set. Let us grab a taxi.

While finding our way towards Dr. Jez's house, we got a whole knock-off conversation regarding this project, however; none of those were even integrated into my memory. My neurons were too focused in digesting his soulful modulated voice as if I was eating a very healthy diet. When we arrived, I never knew that Dr. Jez's house would be located at the steepest part of the village. Thanked God, cars were invented because if not I would have fainted halfway to reach her house.

As we entered her residence, I noticed a prepared dinner for us. Oh, it relieved my growing intestinal parasites. Yeah, we all have those and if you do not know that, better be acquainted with them. They bite. Quite rude for me to get excited over food while untying my shoe laces and was invited to use a handful pair of slipper. That is a genuine Filipino culture and most of all the invitation of food. When we were about to start eating, we prayed. Not sure if Bryan was tagging along but, he surely did. We had a nice conversation until the topic about having kids was brought up by Dr. Jez.

Dr. Jez: I believe you want to have kids. Right? Bry.
Bryan: Yeah, I do. I am planning to have an artificial insemination.
Dr. Jez: Find a surrogate or just get married. She could be a good candidate (saying things bluntly while directing her stare at me, implying something).

There were no other she around the dinner table only me and Dr. Jez it would be quite awful if she is referring to herself for she is married so, I supposed she was referring to me and the majority went timidly giggling. Before this strange conversation ended at to another session of giggling, better change the topic. So, we had a run talk about Politics, Health and most of all Economic discussions. This is boring for most people but for a few like me, this is what defines excitement and interesting at the same time.

Bryan: Now, let us start our business. I need you to make a discussion about these transcripts. Make it more detailed as much as possible.
Me: How many pages do you like?
Dr. Jez: You are really something. Kind of meticulous, aren't you? (She was giggling)
Bryan: (quite agreeing to Dr. Jez's observation) Yeah, she is. That's why; we are so different and cannot agree with everything. I am just being spontaneous while she is such an idealist.
Me: (some part of me wanted to defend myself but something tried to suppress me of doing it) I just want to visualize what output do you want me to have.
Bryan: Oh, you are really the perfectionist (like he is not). Oh, I feel my stomach is aching. But I have been to the toilet several times, it did not actually help.
Me: (I remember to carry a USANA food supplement in my bag.) Sir, you might want to try this food
supplement. It helps me. This may also help you.
Bryan: (after fifteen minutes) Wow, impressive. It is not aching anymore. Thanks a lot!
Me: I'm happy to help (Oh, my motherly side was haunting me back again).

It was past late midnight. Well actually, it is literally another day. I decided to take some rest just for an hour. Yet, I could not. I knew there is no way for me to be comfortable in other people's house. So, I woke up and decided to do my daily meditation. When I was halfway awake, I noticed Bryan lying down on an extended bed. I bet he was fully awake.

Me: Good morning, sir! (very sleepy so I just slouched to a desk table)
Bryan: Good morning! I am really not sleepy.
Me: Of course! You do not sleep. You are nocturnal.

I was about to commence my meditation proper. When he suddenly started a conversation and it was a big topic not just any current issue but it is about love and his relationships.

Me: (speaking into my mind) Oh, good Lord, I apologize I might not be able to do my meditation. I cannot live him hanging. Oh, it is not that I love him more than you or is it? Help me God.
Bryan: I have been falling out of love. I just let love find its way to me. I am hoping to find the right partner. But, there is one. The person is always lingering nearby.
Me: (quite hoping or primarily really wishing that he is referring to me) Oh, what do you think of the person?
Bryan: The person is not really my type. Surely, the person is the exact opposite: childish, irrational sometimes and not a foreigner (accompanied with a short giggle at the end).
Me: (Oh my! Hundred percent hopes are rocketing) Have you asked this person about you two?
Bryan: Nope, I don't desire the person for I only think of his own welfare.
Me: (the rocket of hope just reached the top and quickly to its downfall.) Oh, his. His welfare. It was not me. Not me. Not me. Not me. Not me. Not me.

How could I even think about it? You know it was so impossible for him to fall for a girl. Why did these hopes just come out from nowhere trying to steal my fantasy and offer me a dose of reality? I could not breathe and even think straight. The rest of his statements and sharing were just neglected by my brain that not even one or two could give me a remedy to digest everything he just said. He was continually talking about how he felt happy during their text exchanges. He was even sharing those and that about their blossoming relationship. It was the longest time in my life that I just smiled without knowing the reason. But, I had to enduringly pretend how happy I was for him. Despite my core to be broken to pieces as he went on describing this guy, I was withstanding the pain it caused me from my sole to crown. How naïve of me? How dull of me to have hope between us? And it was almost sunrise, a day of new hope or was it just a day of lengthening my sorrow?

Me: Sir, excuse me. I need to go to the toilet.

When I was going to the toilet, he was still standing near the washroom's door panting and excited like a feisty spoiled child sharing his delights about this man. After several minutes thanked God, he went off. I was alone inside. Of course, that is typical. When I was about to look at the mirror, droplets of tears came overflowing from my eyes. I could not let it go away. In the end, I just let it out until it dried. And I realized that this was not just a normal infatuation, for if it is, it would not be as much as painful as I was experiencing right at that moment. But, it was.