Preparing for His Day

Taking more steps forward and allowing his day to pass by was not even an option. I knew from the first week of work that his birthday falls every 18th of October. Just the following month from my birthday. And up until this day, I wonder if it had any special reason or not. Well, I must had fed up my thoughts too much about us. Better go with the fate's flow.

Beforehand, the staffs and I discussed on how to surprise him on his birthday. I even attempted to suggest on surprising him at midnight. Just to make sure that we greeted him the first among his known people. Of course, they did not agree.

Staff1: (laughing timidly) We cannot support you on that. We have responsibilities at home.
Staff2: (quite agreeing while scratching his nape) And most of the time, he is not around. He usually goes home to his parents' house to celebrate his birthday.
Me: I see (of course, they know him better than I do so let it be).

After our prompt discussion, we decided to pull it off on his day in the afternoon during lunch. We spared some our cash to buy him a cake. And a good staff volunteered to make a tarpaulin greeting for him. Well, all set I supposed but, not me.

I wanted to give him something unique, memorable and most of all poured out with effort and sincerity. So, I decided to make a poetry for him using every letter of his name from his first, middle and down to his last name. I even thought to include his extended name which was his Ph.D. but I believed he will surely find it funny. With that, I might jeopardize my sincerity to being funny. So, better leave it out. When I was done writing, I edited it on the computer. Adding touches of his favorite tattoo art as well as his most genuine stolen photo: laughing and drawing true happiness during a seminar as the background of the text. Then, I went to the mall to print it on a photo paper. It took us several attempts since it would not fit on the paper. After that, I dropped in an educational supply store to look for a frame that fitted the printout. When I found the exact size that I needeth, I was prompted with the idea that I could not give this without wrapped.

Me: Miss, do you have wrapping services here?
Saleslady: Yes, ma'am. Just pay first to the cashier and bring back the receipt to me.
Me: Oh, I see. That's great. I really need a hand right now. Was not able to sleep well just to finish this.
Saleslady: Wow, he must be lucky.
Me: (sounds sad) I hope he is thinking the same way as you say.

After I paid the required amount, I went back to the saleslady.

Me: Oh, here is the receipt.
Saleslady: May I have it, ma'am? Oh, is this him? His very manly and what a handsome man.
Me: (I never expect to hear it from a stranger which makes me laugh really hard) hahahahaha...he does not like to be handsome. He wants to be beautiful.
Saleslady: (quite confuse but after three seconds she gets what I am implying) Now, I know why you seemed down when I told you that he is a lucky man.

I never anticipated in my whole life that a stranger could relate to my situation. We had just a couple of minutes but it was enough for us to relay personal issues in our lives.

Saleslady: (while preparing the wrapper and ribbon) I once experienced to fall for a maya ('maya' is a slang word among Filipinos to call gay people) I tell you ma'am It will not be easy but I strive. He gets to notice my effort but I know it will not last. My parents dislike him. And even him, he wants me to find a man. I love how he cares for me. He told me that I deserve to be happy by having my own family which he cannot give to me.

I felt so happy for her to share such provokingly sweet and bitter story of her love affair with this gay person. And before my sensitivity rolled up to my eyes, I thanked her and went off with a smile of hope looking at her.