Chapter 3

June 6, 2016

I woke up late. Worse, on the first day of school.

School starts at 8 in the morning, and the school bus starts picking up students in our area around 7:20.

Unfortunately, I woke up past 7:30.

I immediately bolted up and looked out on my window, which showed our front yard below on the ground floor. Both of parents' cars were now gone and even Penelope's was no where to be seen. But when I saw a sedan with its blue shade glinting on me, I felt hope.

I ran outside my room and opened Ethan's room. He barely noticed me for he was wearing headphones playing an online video game. Lucky bastard still on vacation.

I stormed inside and pulled my brother's headphones out. He turned to me and was surprised to see me.

"Woah, why are you still here? I thought you left for school already."

"Take me to school, please. I'll prepare in 20 minutes. Please." I pleaded with both my palms connected as if praying to a god. He sighed at me.

"How can a brother say no to his little sister?" He asked, making me yelp in thanks and hugged him tight before running to prepare.

It took me just faintly 20 minutes to take a quick shower and wore my uniform. I grabbed my socks and leather shoes as well as my school bag as Ethan walked out of the house with his keys. After, the two of us stormed off, since school was 30 minutes away from here.

On the way, I prepared at the back seat of the car. After I combed and everything, I looked outside and noticed that the dirt path turned into concrete and the guardhouse behind us.

I glanced at my watch. It was already 8:17 in the morning, which means homeroom was going to end in 13 minutes. I sighed in relief as the car parked on the familiar grounds. I thanked my brother as I ran out of the car.

I passed by the administration office to get a tardy slip. Ms. Casey, the registrar, was surprised to see me there, asking for a slip.

"First time to see you here asking for a tardy slip, and worse on your first day."

I just smiled at her and mentally asked her to hurry up, knowing who our homeroom teacher was going to be. When she handed me the slip finally, I got it from her and bid my thanks, running out of the office and into the Grade 11 classroom.

When I reached the classroom, homeroom was ending in less than 5 minutes. I entered the room and noticed that Nathan was beside our homeroom teacher and one of my classmates seated from the very back was standing up.

They were doing the traditional "introduction of yourself" in front of the new student.

Ms. Elena noticed me first, her ever strict and ever terror expression stabbing me. Nathan noticed me next, which made him smile and wave at me. This gesture, of course, caught everyone's attention.

"Ahh, Ms. Lewis. How nice of you to join us. You're early for the next class." Ms. Elena said, making everyone laugh silently.

She is I could say, my mom's older sister and the sweetest aunt you can ever have. But when she's in school and a teacher like this, she's the most terrifying person in this institute that even the principal is scared of her. Probably because she has the right to be the most respected one in school, since she's the oldest and the most achieved.

I walked towards her as the school bell rang and gave her my tardy slip, which she received ungratefully.

Nathan smiled at me in pity and said, "I thought you weren't attending today for some reasons, and it scared me."