Chapter 4

I walked out of my room feeling refreshed after coming home from school. It was apparently, Mom's old school. Some of the teachers knew Mom and were surprised that her children were going to the same school she attended.

Although Dad said that it was different now. The school now turned into an all-girls school after it was bought by a new corporation, unlike before when it was co-ed. This meant that Elliot attend a different school.

I sloped down the stairs and headed towards the dining room, where Gabby and Elli were already eating.

"Oh, Charley! Didn't you know? Elli is now their school paper's news editor. Just right on the second week of school. And an editor, not a writer being in 9th grade that he is!" Gabby announced excitedly as I sat beside her and across Elli who scratched the back of his head embarassed.

"Wow. At this rate, you can be editor-in-chief early like Mom, who became the head at 11th grade." I shared, remembering what Mom wrote on her first month as an 11th grader.

"Really? She was? Wow. She passed us good genes then." Elli said with a hint of pride in his tone.

"How'd you know that?" Gabby asked before she ate a forkful of pasta.

What could I say? I was quiet for a second, trying to come up with another reason. I couldn't tell her about Mom's journals. Not yet. I want to finish the whole notebook first.

If I told her and even Elliot about them, they're going to tell me that we should read them together. I was selfish, but it's not like it could make a huge difference anyhow.

"Uh, Dad told me when I asked about Mom. Anyway, where's Dad?" I asked, trying to divert the topic, so they won't ask further. Fortunately, both of them (especially Gabby) didn't seem to notice.

"He's in the hospital. There seems to be a virus spreading around fast." Elliot answered and excused himself after finishing dinner.

Gabby and I talked about our new school and classmates. After, we both headed to our rooms.

I was excited to read the new entry for July 1, it was the day wherein the Battle of the Bands will happen finally after a lot of preparations. One group with a min of 5 members and a max of 9 for each high school grade had to join. So 6 groups were going to battle.

July 1, 2016

Friday night. Everyone in high school were so excited that no one seemed to focus in class during the day. High school students were dismissed of regular classes before lunch to prepare for the said interclass competition.

Our class formed a group and named themselves Seven Eleven, because there were 7 of them and representing our grade. It was creative actually, besides endorising the huge chain of convenience store. Alex, the class rep, was the one who came up with it, so everyone thought he deserved his position.

Seven Eleven consisted of Nathan and Olivia, the vocalists; Ethan (not my brother, but my classmate), the lead guitarist; James, the bass guitarist; Mason, the drummer; Logan, the pianist; and Ava the violinist.

I wasn't surprised when the others volunteered, because the rest of my classmates were already members of our class band since 9th grade. We had to reform the class band due to a handful of our classmates from the band who transferred somewhere else.

But Nathan surprised me when he stood up and told Ms. Elena that he wanted to be part of the band as a vocalist. Of course, Alex and Katrina screened him with the aid of our music teacher, Ms. Yumi. To say that he has a good voice was a complete understatement.

Katrina, Sophia (Olivia's best friend, Aubrey, and I prepared the band's banner using glow in the dark paint, since it was going to happen at night. While Charlotte and Isabella made final touches to the costume they made.