A hard day's night

Kimberley was awakened by a terrific banging coming from somewhere nearby. It took her a few moments to orient herself, remembering that she was in a hotel room. The banging seemed to be coming from the corridor. It sounded like someone was knocking on a door, but not hers. The next room, which was...she wracked her brain...Nadine's?

"Come on, man! Let us back in!"

And that would be Cheryl's voice. Kimberley rolled her eyes and contemplated putting the pillow over her face and going back to sleep. Getting involved in anything which was to do with Cheryl and Nadine was never a wise course of action. Both Nicola and Sarah studiously avoided doing so. But Kimberley always managed to get herself into the middle of things. And that night would be no different. She sighed as she swung her legs out of bed and dragged herself half-heartedly to the door. She opened it and peered round, squinting against the light.

"Cheryl?"

She finally got her eyes to focus just as Cheryl turned in her direction.

"Cheryl! Jesus! What are you wearin’?"

She already knew the answer to that question: 'not a hell of a lot'. Cheryl was dressed in an underwear set which left little to the imagination, being mostly see-through. Kimberley dived back into her room and emerged with a large, fluffy robe which she thrust in Cheryl's direction.

"Here, put this on before anybody sees you!"

Cheryl pulled the robe over her shoulders but left it open. Kimberley grabbed the belt and pulled it tightly closed, tying it around Cheryl's waist.

"What are you doin’ out here in the middle of the night?"

Cheryl tutted and jerked her head in the direction of Nadine's door.

"She's only gone and chucked us out, hasn't she?"

"Why?"

Cheryl looked down at the ground, rubbing her bare toes into the carpet. She shrugged.

"Dunno."

Indignant footsteps could be heard approaching the door and Nadine's voice floated through the wood.

"Oh you do so know!"

Kimberley closed her eyes and rubbed the bridge of her nose. She turned to Cheryl.

“Why don’t you just go back to your own room?”

“Wow, I’d never have thought of that, thanks!” Cheryl replied, sarcastically.

Kimberley resisted the urge to throttle her, and instead waited patiently for a sensible answer.

“I can’t, can I? My key’s in there.”

Heavy footsteps stamped around inside Nadine’s room for a short time before a plastic card was slipped under the door. Kimberley stooped to pick it up. She held it out to Cheryl but pulled it away just as Cheryl was about to take it. Curiosity had gotten the better of her. She regarded Cheryl questioningly.

"What did you do?"

Cheryl was all innocence, eyes wide and eyebrows raised. However, the stench of alcohol and the smudged lipstick somewhat negated the innocent image.

"I didn't do nothin'."

"F*ck off, Cheryl!" Nadine shouted.

Kimberley visibly blanched. Cheryl bit her lip.

"OK, she doesn't swear like that for nothin’. You've obviously done somethin’."

Cheryl shrugged.