Chapter 1

Maura looked at her brother, worrying over her lip. "Are you sure you want to pursue with music, Michael? Mom and dad won't be too pleased with that... You know with the whole "musicians can't support themselves" thing." She looked genuinely worried, as Michael just slumped back in his chair, twisting around the straw in his cup.

It had been a week since his graduation and the fuss over where he was going to go was tiring him out already. His little sister decided to call him up and have a private talk with him, under the façade of them just hanging out.

"Where's my pie?" He asked pursing his lips in a pout as he held up his phone. The text on it said :

From Maura <3 (12:03)

Starbucks?

With an emoji of pie next to it.

"That's not the point, Michael. Stop avoiding the topic-" Maura said in exasperation.

"Why would you send an emoji of pie if you aren't going to buy me pie?" Michael continued, ignoring his sister.

The freckled girl groaned at the obvious reference and glared at him "I will buy you pie, but first answer my question. God."

Her brother grinned and let go of his straw to reach out and ruffle her hair, making her shriek and blush as she tried to swat him away, muttering something about ruining her hairstyle. "I will be fine, don't worry. I will make it somehow. And if I don't, you get to burn my Captain America socks."

She huffed, fixing her tails. "I am fine with just throwing them away." She muttered.

"What's so bad about them anyway? I think they are pretty cool." Michael said, acting hurt.

"They are not. Grow up, you've had them for years now. They are probably worn up and torn anyway."

"Not. I use them for only special occasions." The brunet said, picking his cup up.

"Like what? When you have nothing else to wear?" She snorted.

"Weddings, formal parties... You know, the usual." He smirked when she shoved him.

"At least you don't wear a dress, so they don't show. You disappointment for our family." She said dramatically.

"Thanks for coming here from Yelpek." He said and smiled warmly at her when she was done whining about his "hideous" socks.

She leaned back in her chair and smiled back at him softly "I was going to go and meet up with mom and dad. Going to go and reason with them."

Michael grinned "Can I count on you to have my back?"

Maura grinned as well, mirroring his expression perfectly. "Only if you pay me back by helping me convince them to let me study art in three years."

The freckled man laughed "On it. Already preparing for their outraged faces when they hear their oldest kids would like to be artists."

"They still have got Bruce." Maura pointed out.

"Now all that's left is for him to become a writer and we will be the full pact. Speaking of," He stood up, taking his cup with him. "Come on, let's go and buy that art book you've been pining after for so long." He said, motioning over to his car from the window.

Maura's eyes sparkled "Really?"

Michael smiled "I have to pay for your alliance somehow, now don't I?"

Maura hugged him briefly, before jumping into a conversation about the book. Michael listened to her indulgently, even though he never asked.

After a long tiring conversation with Maura and Michael on one side and their parents on the other, they finally agreed to let Michael study music, but only if he also studied to take up the company as well if any of his siblings couldn't/didn't want to. For now they had their attention on Beaure, so they still had hope.