Chapter One

Being a famous surgeon's son has its perks when you're captivated by the human anatomy. Well, my mother is a world-renown neurosurgeon, Dr. Kelly Taylor. I attend work with her quite often during my summer breaks, they allowed me to sit in the viewing room when she has surgeries simply because my mother was famous, they also let me watch other surgeries such as appendectomy, ENT, plastics, orthopedic and my most favorite, cardio.

I graduated from Harvard Med School in the fall, and now I'm about to start my internship at Seattle, all the way the other side of the states. I moved to Seattle 3 weeks after getting confirmation for Grey-Sloan Memorial Hospital, I bought my own studio apartment at West Seattle.

I try to keep myself unknown, hence why I'm applying internship at Grey-Sloan's is a good idea. I convinced my medical school best friend, Elliot, to move there with me and do his internship there too.

I was woken up by the rays of sunlight beaming through my window and the intense smell of a freshly brewed coffee filled through the loft.

"Good morning, Kirs." Elliot greeted as he hands me a cup of coffee.

"Thank you so much, man. Glad I asked you to stay with me." I said in a raspy tone.

"Hey, I think your mum's been calling you, I didn't wanna wake you up because you needed the sleep."

I checked my phone and I missed 12 calls and a lot of text messages. I immediately called her back to reassure her I'm fine and I'm alive.

"I'm so sorry darling, I forgot you were three hours behind!" She replied.

"Gosh, imagine if I was the other side of the world! You'd have to call me at weird times." I joked. My mum was sceptical of me moving out of country, probably because my brother is out of country too. So we came to term of me moving to Seattle.

She passed on her well wishes and hung up the phone. Elliot and I then got ready for the day and had our breakfast at a local café before heading to the hospital.

We arrived at the hospital and gathered at the lobby for someone to take us. I meet a couple of new interns and introduced myself along with Elliot. Not long after 10 minutes, a tall dark skinned man greeted us.

"Good morning interns, I am Dr. Richard Webber, call me Dr. Webber. I am the director of the residency program here at Grey Sloan's Memorial Hospital. Grey Sloan's is a highly regarded teaching hospital and you guys are handpicked to be here with us today." He introduced himself.

"Now, follow me."

We follow the crowd and walked through the hospital. At the end of the tour, we were brought to an operating room. The room seems different from down here, as I was so used to being behind the glass window up there. The viewing room is filled with dark blue scrubs doctors; they seem to be laughing and giggling to each other.

"Gather around interns. I say this to the new interns every year, each of you comes here today hopeful. Wanting in on the game. Few months ago you were in med school, being taught by doctors. Today, you are the doctors. The five years you spend here, as surgical residents will be the best and worst of your life. You will be pushed and tested to the breaking point. Now, look around you, say hello to your competitions. Eight of you will switch into an easier specialty, five of you will crack under the pressure, and two of you will be asked to leave. This is your starting line. This is your arena. How well you play? That's up to you." Dr. Webber finished his speech and a moment of silence filled the room.

We were then brought to the changing rooms to change into our light blue scrubs to begin our first day.