Chapter Three

I entered the scrubbing room and the two doctors were already there. I grabbed a surgical mask from the shelves and tied it over my face.I scrubbed my hands clean in the sink to my favorite song, "How to save a life" by The Fray. In front of me was a window overlooking into the OR, I stare into the room and imagined myself and my mother kicking ass on a surgery. The patient was already lyding down and about to go under anesthesia.

"We'll see you in there after you're done." The brunette says, offering a smile.

"Don't look so nervous, it throws Dr. Grey off." She says again, leading a gaze to the blonde doctor.

"I'm not, I'm just trying to wrap my head around everything." I said confidently. Maybe I am a little nervous, but I seem to hide it pretty well, with a little lie.

I finished up scrubbing my hands and attended into the OR.

The nurses assisted in putting on the gloves and I stood behind Dr. Grey and observed her techniques. She picked a scalpel and opened up the abdominal area for inspection. Dr. Grey asked me to assist in passing the surgical equipment while she operated on the patient.

"So which medical school did you attend?" Dr. Grey asks.

"Harvard." I say.

She looked at me with a disbelief expression. Then continued with the operation.

"What is your name?" The brunette one asked focusing her eyes on the open brain of the patient.

"Kirs, Kirs Taylor. I don't think I know your name, sorry." I said modestly.

"Dr. Shepherd, Head of Neuro." She says. The name sounds familiar to me, a Dr. Shepherd once help assisted in a case with my mother; I didn't recall it being a female doctor.

"Are you related to Dr. Taylor? The neurosurgeon?" She asks again.

"Yes, she is my mother."

"Wow, I'm such a big fan of her work." She seemed to be thrilled.

"I'll make sure she knows that." I smiled. Now that they know, I can't hide my face around my bosses anymore.

At the end of the surgery, Dr. Grey offered me the chance to close on the patient as she watched me over the shoulder.

"That's such a clean stitch. You're a natural, Dr. Taylor." Dr. Grey complimented.

"Thank you."

Not long after, another doctor walked into the OR with a file in her arms.

"How's the patient doing? The family is in the waiting area, are you able to give them an update?" She asked.

"Amelia is still going, I just finished up on the internal bleed at the abdomen area. Dr. Taylor here helped me close." Dr. Grey say.

The doctor looked at me from head to toe before she dismissed herself to update the family.

"Okay, I'm done here." Dr. Shepherd announced.

"Do you want to close up? I'll teach you how, but you probably already know." Dr. Shepherd offered. I smiled at her knowingly. I've seen enough surgeries that my mother performed to know how to do it. I cautiously stitch the head back together and wrapped it up.

"Not to bad for a first day, huh?" Dr. Shepherd says.

I untie my surgical mask and my operating gown and threw them in the bin before scrubbing again. I exited the scrub room, making my way back to Elliot and the rest. Without realizing it was already noontime, I make my way to the cafeteria to find Elliot seating at a bench with some other interns. I filled my plate with salad, hotdogs and bread roll and made my way to the bench.

"Kirs!" Elliot say as his mouth is filled with bread roll.

I sit down with the rest of the interns and started eating.

"How was the surgery? What did you do?" Elliot asked.

"I watched and helped pass some surgical equipment, Dr. Grey and Dr. Shepherd offered me the chance to close up." I said as biting on my bread roll and hotdog.

"Well, I got to crack an OD'd patient's chest today. Dr. Wilson totally had a go at me, so it might be a little awkward later. " He ashamedly says.

"Way to go Elliot."

Dr. Grey, Dr. Shepherd and another lady approaches my bench as we continued talking about our day so far.

"Hello interns, I hope your first day is as good as it has been for me. As it is a tradition here at Grey Sloan Memorial, we will choose an intern to perform their first appendectomy. Your fellow attendings and residents have voted Dr. Reid to do it. See you in the OR 3 at 1500." The other lady announced. I looked at Elliot with a jealousy gaze, though I know what I've done today was worth the first day. The other interns look at him with a sharp look.

"Way to go Elliot." I said as finishing the last of my salad.

"Did she say my name? Dr. Reid?" Elliot said in disbelief.

______________________________________________

How do you like the updated version so far? 

I'm aiming to write 1000+ words per chapter from now on just to keep the story sane! 

Also, I changed 'Kirs' into a guy, I'm still figuring out where his character is headed but stay tuned :)