A RACE FOR HUMANITY

And then i looked over my shoulder and saw the pain in the eyes of the little child sitting at the far end of the bench behind me. I woke up early to take a walk in the park. A place where I always resorted to when I needed inner tranquillity.
He looked away,a symbol of shyness.
I walked over to him absent minded and asked him.
"Hey,you look sad". It sounded more of a statement than a question.
And then he looked at me. I could feel his balancing tears sting at the back of his eyes. I thought, "he must be strong to fight the tears back"
"I am sad" he responded in a weak voice.
Curious, I sat beside him. Everyone in the park was now looking at us. I knew their thoughts. What could a hijabi lady be telling the ragged dressed kiddo?
I held his hand,it felt rough.
A glance at him again could approximately tell me he was between 10-12.
I remembered my small brother. In my heart,I knew i would never wish that for him.
A distant look on his face,he started narrating his story. It had no pause or full stops. That was enough to tell me his insides were ripping as he shared his side of how life battered him.

His first line made me shudder because I could tell where his story was heading to. I started gathering courage so I could have the strength to go through the rest of his story.
I opened his wound from the moment I started firing questions at him.
The medicine to was just but to give him a warm environment to make his heart at ease.