Luke and Jasmine

Luke

Another day, the same hospital, the same treatment. Different nurses and doctors. Some the same.

A sleeping baby boy in my arms, the love of my life asleep in the chair next to me. Needles in her arms pumping more chemicals into her fragile body.

You'd never expect anything like this to happen to you, I would never wish this upon my worst enemy.

"Mr. Hemmings?"

"Please call me Luke."

I look up at the young girl standing in front of me.

"I'm Erica, a new nurse here."

"Nice to meet you Erica."

I look over as she carefully wakes up Carly, she looked so tired and fragile. My heart shattered.

"Can you drink this water for me?"

"Yeah, of course."

I watch her drink the water, it looked like the sores in her mouth was hurting and making it hard to swallow.

I look up seeing the chemo bag was empty, I look away as Erica takes the needle out.

There was so many familiar faces around here, I felt bad for all the people going through this. I know what their families are going through.

"Babe, how's Noah? I haven't heard him all day."

I wipe my left eye the eye Carly couldn't see, I turn to face her.

"He's gone back to sleep, he was playing before."

I smile seeing her smile, that lifted my spirits.

"He's getting so big."

I stand up and gently put him in her arms, I kneel down putting my hands on her knees as Noah wakes up smiley and happy to be in his mums arms.

"When your ready we have that appointment to get to."

"Can you get the wheelchair again? I'm not feeling the best toady, it's hitting me hard."

I nod standing up and kiss her forehead, I was scared. Really scared, Noah turns one next week. I kept having horrible thoughts that Carly might not be there.

I walk over to the desk talking to the receptionist, she was lovely and knew me. She's been here everytime we have.

I take the wheelchair back in and very carefully help Carly up and sit her back down with the blanket she brings everytime.

I pick up the nappy bag putting it over my shoulder and start walking out.

"We need to change Noah first."

"Okay baby."

I look at them as Noah sits there talking her ear off, he's such a happy kid. Not a care in the world, doesn't even know his mum is sick.

I take them into the parents room and watch as Carly stands up to do it, I stand behind her with my hand on her hip.

"I wove you mummy."

"I love you too my precious little boy."

The smiles on their faces made me smile, he looked a lot like Carly. I help them both back into the wheelchair and walk to the oncologist, we sit outside for what feels like forever.

I had a sickening feeling in my stomach, I had a feeling something was going to upset me.

"Carly?"

I get up and push Carly in, the oncologist was really nice. He's explained so much to me, I've spoken to him multiple times without Carly knowing.

"Your looking good today."

"Yeah but I'm feeling like absolute shit."

Kyle giggles, she's always spoke her mind. No matter what or who it may be, she's always told them what she thinks.

"You look beautiful and little Noah has gotten bigger since I last saw him."

"Yeah, he's growing up to fast."

"You know where the toys are little man, why don't you go okay so I can talk to mum and dad."

I look at Noah as he eyes him off, I knew he'd say something. I was trying to mentally prepare myself.

"Your hair looks funny and you look funny in those clothes."

I shake my head as they laugh, kids are always ones to say what they think.

"Go play Noah and stop being rude."

I wasn't in the mood to deal with his cheekiness, my stomach was churning, my thoughts were racing and I have a horrible feeling that something bad was going to happen.

"Luke, he's fine. He's having fun, you need to snap out of this mood your in. I'm starting to get sick of it."

I just stare into Carly's eyes, that fragile look in her eyes made me feel bad for the mood I have been in.

"I'm sorry babe, it's just getting to me and I've been over thinking."

"I get it, your scared. I'm scared, I love you. Everything will be okay."

I put my hand on her leg gently to scared to hurt her, I could feel the tears threatening to fall but I fight them back. I've held them back for this long.

What's a bit longer?

"I love you too."

I lean over gently kissing her, I feel her cold fragile hand being placed on mine. I hear Noah's little footsteps running off to the toys at the back of the office.

I pull away leaning back in the chair and look at Kyle.

The look on his face, I didn't like it. At all.

-

Heyy

Oh wow this hit close to home, I'm almost crying.

~ Clifford X