Chapter 4:

I shut the door behind me as I entered my new apartment. Or flat as they called it here.

"Hello?" I put my stuff down and looked to see if anyone was here. I made my way to the kitchen and saw a note on the counter.

SORRY. WE WANTED TO BE HERE WHEN YOU ARRIVED BUT THERE WAS A LITTLE EMERGENCY. NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT. WE'LL BE HOME SOON. -DANI

Dani? I pulled out my folder and pulled out the packet about my family. Dani.... Oh! She's my new mom! I looked over the rest if my list. I have an 18 year old brother named Callan, a 16 year old sister named Tori, a father named James, and a pet dog named Dorothy.

I put down my file and looked around the rest of the house.It was nice. Not too big. Not too small. I walked over to the large window that stretched from the floor to the ceiling. I pulled back the curtains and gasped at the view. I had the perfect view of the London eye and Thames River. I opened the window and shivered. London was cold. I should really get a jacket. I was just about to close the window when te door opened. Suddenly, I panicked.

I quietly tiptoed over to the wall so that who ever it was couldn't see me. Had they found me? How? I just got here! I just about got ready to run for it when I heard a high pitched laugh come from the living room. What?

I walke over to the living room to find 2 kids my age and an old couple all laughing. Right, I had a family. I silently cursed at myself for being so stupid.

"Hi. I'm Lucy."

They all looked at me as if they'd forgotten that I was suppose to be here. The mom spoke first.

"Hi Lucy. I'm Dani. You can call me that when we're here but you might want to call me mom elsewhere." She smiled. She was really pretty for a woman with two grown up children. And something about her just made me feel a lot more comfortable.

"Hello. I'm James. The dad. But I'm sure you knew that. The same with Dani applies to me." He seemed a little more strict. But I could live with it.

I looked at Tori and Callan. Neither one of them said anything so I introduced myself to them again. "Hi, I'm Lucy." This time, the girl stepped forward and embraced me in a hug.

"Oh my god! I finally have a sister! And yeah I know you're not my real sister but still! I've always wanted a sibling!"

The boy pretended to be hurt. "Hey! I'm your brother! You already have a sibling!"

Tori ignored him and continued talking. "That's Callan! He's a total pain!"

"Yeah right! She secretly loves me! She just doesn't want to admit it cos loving your brother isn't cool!"

I laughed at them.

"So, Lucy! Guess what? You're sharing a room with me! This will be soo fun! It'll be like having a sleepover except you're not leaving the next morning! Oh and I have some questions for you!" I liked Tori. She was really energetic. I could get used to having a "sister".

"Yeah we have some questions for you! Like why are you here? I mean I know you're on witness protection but why?" I stared at Callan. I guess he like to just jump right in.

His mother looked at him and started yelling at him. "Callan! Be sensitive! I'm sure she doesn't want to share and if she does, she'll do it on her own time! You don't ask someone personal stuff like-"

"It's okay, Dani!" I smiled. She is really sweet. "I don't mind telling. I mean there's actually not much to tell. I was at school talking to my best friend, Jade, when this car drove by shooting at us. Both of us were hit. I woke up in a hospital and they said they were putting me on witness protection. I don't know why though."

"What do you mean you don't know?" Callan seemed pretty cool but he did ask a lot of questions.

I sighed. "Apparently, I'm supposed to remember something that happened a while ago. A long time ago actually, before I got shot. But I don't remember what exactly happened. Getting shot wiped out my memory of that night. I need to remember so that the police can solve the crime so I'm in witness protection until I remember."

They all got quiet.

Tori spoke first. "Wow, sounds like something from a movie! Why isn't Jade here? Shouldn't she be in protection too?"

My heart started to beat faster and my eyes started to water. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, not trusting myself to speak. "Jade died. The bullet killed her instanly."

This time, it got even more quiet. I didn't even know that was possible. Not even the dog that had made its way into the living room was making a sound.

I stood there awkwardly for a whole before deciding to break the silence. "Uhmm do you guys have any food? I'm starved."

Dani came alive instantly. "Oh sorry love! I completely forgot. Silly me. Of course you're starved after a long flight! And you're probably exhausted, too!"

The rest of the family started talking all at once, talking about going out for dinner. We eventually decided to try Nandos. I've been dying to try it! I've heard a lot about the restaurant. Now I can see what all the fuss is about.

Dani told me that I could go freshen up before we left. I grabbed my bags and followed Tori as she practically skipped to her- our- room.

The family seemed really nice. Tori and I could be friends. Dani seemed supportive. James was there but I couldn't see myself getting along with him as well. And Callan was kinda cute. Too bad he's my "brother".

And too bad I have no time for relationships right now. I need to focus on regaining my memory.