Never Push A Big Red Button

We walked for hours and I could barley take another step. It was the same all the way along the corridor. We must've passed hundreds of doors.

Megan picked up on the exhaustion that we were all feeling,"We should rest. It's been a long day."

"Thank you." I said, dropping to the ground.

We all sat down and talked for a while. Zack sat down next to me.

"You look tired." He said, laughing.

I gave him my unamused look but soon gave in and laughed quietly.

"In my fake life I wasn't exactly an olympian." I said grinning.

"Me neither. But I was surprisingly good at baking. As if I could actually bake anything edible in real life." He said.

"I can cook, just not well." I replied.

"So, I feel like we barely know anything about each other." Said Zack to everyone.

"Yeah, how about we take it in turns to talk about ourselves." Lucas suggested.

"Isn't that what babies do at nursery?" Jake remarked.

"Yes. It is. So who wants to go first." I said.

Jake sat there speechless. He wasn't expecting anyone to say that.

"I'll go first. I'm Megan. Don't know my last name. In my most recent fake life I was a student at an art school and my mum and dad were divorced. But it wasn't real so it doesn't matter. When I woke up I walked into the nothingness and was trapped in there for about 3 days. Who's next?"

"I'm Theo and I was from a rich family in my fake life. I was an only child swell. When I woke up I pretty much did the same thing as Megan but I was trapped in the nothingness for 4 days."

One by one everyone went, including me but afterwards we realised that we didn't know much about ourselves let alone get other people know a lot about us.

I decided to sleep. I woke up, I don't know how long I was asleep for because there was no way of telling the time, and everyone except Theo was asleep.

"Hey." He said seeing that I was awake.

"Hey." I replied.

"I saw you talking to Zack earlier. Thanks for helping him. He and Phillip woke up at the same time and it took them a week to jump into the nothingness. They had a lot of bonding time."

"I just didn't want to see anyone upset."

"Well, whatever you did, it worked."

"I just told him the truth. We're going to try our hardest to find Phillip."

"You're incredible, you know. You managed to calm Zack down, you were brave enough to follow a bunch of teenagers who knocked you out and you were smart enough to clear you mind, jump into the nothingness and free all of us."

I didn't know what to say. That was an extremely big compliment and I wasn't really sure if I was comfortable with it or not.

I resorted to,"Um...thanks, I guess."

A little while later I decided I was bored.

So I did the only logical thing a person does when they're bored. I looked for something to tap/hit.

I found one of the metal signs by one of the doors. It read 'Compound NO.136,392'. I leant against the wall next to it and started tapping it which probably annoyed everyone who was awake.

Theo looked at me and smiled while at the same time using an expression to say,"Really?"

It was then that I noticed something. I kept tapping the sign and soon realised that I was right. It was hollow which meant that there was something behind it.

"Guys, wake up!" I shouted.

About a minute later they were crowding round me as I explained what I had found.

"We need to see what's behind it." Said Lucas.

"Stand back." Theo said before he swung his fist back and began to punch the metal sign. He wasn't even denting it.

"Guys." Zack said.

"Theo." He started to raise his voice.

"HEY!" He shouted.

Everyone turned to look at him. "Let me do it."

He walked forwards, up to the sign and then pulled it open like a door.

"There." He said and walked back to his place.

Theo stood there looking annoyed.

I gave Zack a smile. He smiled back.

I went up to the sign and behind it was a red button. Now I'm sure so many people have said a thousand times that if you see a red button you shouldn't press it under any circumstances. However, the fact that we were getting pretty desperate combined with my curiosity combined with the fact that 'Who doesn't want to jus push a button when they see it.', it's obvious what I did.

I pushed the big red button.