Chapter 20: Things don't always work out♥

It seemed fitting that today would be the day that the good weather streak broke. It dawned in that miserable way it does on Mondays, the clouds so grey they resembled a herd of stampeding elephants.

Despite the gloomy clouds, the air was so humid that the second I went out to water the plants (a chore I’d been delegated to since I broke a lawnmower more indestructible than a Nokia phone) I could feel sweat dripping down the back of my neck. I took my time; pouring droplets from the watering can with the same precision you’d use to pour tea for the Queen. Normally I’d hurry through the job, wanting to get back inside and have some time to myself before I had to go to work, but today was different.

Work. I never really enjoyed it, but I didn’t mind it. What I was really worried about was Jake, and my plan to work things out between us. Or more like, I was bricking it over the fact that I had absolutely no plan whatsoever, and if I cocked this up I would then have to spend the next four weeks of the summer holidays working with him whilst trying to convince my friends that me and Jake were still getting along.

I was watering the hanging baskets by the front door when I heard a little cough come from behind me.

“Oh. Hi Lucy.” I grinned, looking over my shoulder.

Lucas shuffles his feet, pulling on the strap of his backpack awkwardly.

“At least I’m not short.” He mumbles, flicking his hair out of his eyes in that annoying way boys do.

“That cannot be your comeback for everything.”

“You cannot still be using the word comeback.” He counters, raising his eyebrows so that they disappear comically under his hair. I grin.

“Why, does it offend your delicate definition of cool?” Turning back to vibrantly coloured flowers, I glanced down at my watch. “Anyway, what are you doing here at nine o’ clock on a Monday morning?”

“Band meeting. We need to practise for the semi-finals,” He says, a slight frown settling on his features followed by a shrug. “Erm…of that competition, remember?”

“Oh, no, I remembered.” I nod, clearing my throat slightly. “When is that anyway?”

“This weekend.”

“Wow.” I imagine I look pretty surprised from the way a smile curves onto his lips. “You seem surprisingly cavalier about the whole thing. Aren’t you nervous?”

“Yes.” He says, and I can’t help but laugh. “Oh, thanks for the support, Autumn Blossom.”

“Ah, no, Lucy, it’s not that,” I laugh, grinning sheepishly. “You’ll be fine, I’m sure.”

“I think I’m the only one who’s worried about it as well, I had to practically force Charlie and Matty to rehearse today.” He grumbles, looking put out.

“Yeah, well, speaking of that I think Charlie’s still in bed.” Watching his face fall, I hasten to add, “Don’t worry, you can take him a nice hot chocolate and coax him out of his Charlie-cave.”

“Why the hot chocolate? And I swear you’ve been watering that one plant for the past ten minutes,”

“It’s good for the soul and the bromance.” I inform him, tilting the watering can upright and declaring it a job-well-done. “And this one’s my favourite.”

“Right. So are you going to let me in?” I stepped aside, waving him through the front door with a dramatic sweep of my arm. I pull the door to, watching as his lanky form ambles down the hallway, nearly knocking over a vase with his backpack.