Chapter 2- Homecoming

-Four days prior to the competition. 32nd of Zali-

Amongst others there for the same reason, a group from the Droxxon Mercenaries rode into Ferrent through the 3rd ward gate.
Their trip was quite eventful, but it was nothing seventeen trained mercenaries couldn't handle.

Kaidus was riding at the front of the wagon alongside York who was driving. Another wagon followed them, carrying the other half of their group.
He was silently taking in the familiar atmosphere of the bustling 3rd ward. He smiled, seeing the many people who were out and about, moving through their day.

Their group caught the eyes of a few pedestrians, but many paid no heed to them. It was that time of the year again. A time when people came from all over Darsus to compete in the Arms Competition, for glory and a chance at wealth.

The group slowly made their way through the busy street, moving towards their destination.

"I'll be getting off here. Thanks for everything, York." Stopping at the 3rd ward market district, Kaidus got off, taking a single bag of luggage with him.
The inns for the hired helps were in the opposite direction of where he is heading, so he chose this spot to part with them.

"No need. We're the ones who should be thanking you. Say hi to your parents for me alright? It's going to be busy, but I'll try and drop by whenever I can. If not before, then after the competition." York replied.

"Alright."
He waved them off.

""See ya Kaidus!"" Many of mercenaries called out as the wagons moved away.

His time with the mercenaries was over after three long years. Having already said his goodbyes, there was nothing else that needed to be said. Picking up his luggage, he made his way through the market district, moving ever closer to home.

Familiar people looked at him curiously. An instance of recognition here and there, but he could see that many were wondering who he is to have traveled with a band of what looked to be thugs.
He smiled, wondering if he had really changed that much after three years.

---------------------------------------------

*Knock Knock* Kaidus stood in front of his house, waiting for the door to open. *Knock knock* He knocked once more, uncertain if his mother and sister were home.

He heard a girl's voice shouting from inside the house and footsteps moving down the stairs. He sensed the familiarity of Hasen approaching along with someone he missed dearly.

"Can I help you?"
Opening the door was a young girl wearing a frilly hand sewn dress. Her usual dull red hair was flaring up into a fiery red color—illuminated by the afternoon sun—complementing the blue dress nicely. Her puffy cheeks were still there, and two dark eyes looked at him curiously. She was tiny for her age, even smaller than he was when he first entered the academy at seven.

"You've grown a lot." He spoke, smiling at his sister.

Upon realizing who he is, a smile bloomed on her face. "Kai! Your back!" She jumped onto him, shouting his name happily.

"Did you miss me?" He asked, hugging her and gently patting her head.

"Uhn." Anise nodded, suppressing her tears.

"You going to let me into the house?"
With a grin, she took his hand and led him inside.

The house was practically empty as usual. Troyle was undoubtedly at Lord Varath's, but Adalina was nowhere to be seen.
"Where's mom?"

"Upstairs." Anise replied with a wide teething grin.

"Let's go tell her that I'm home." He suggested, walking towards the stairs.
Holding tightly onto his hand, scared that he would disappear again if she lets go, Anise promptly followed.