Chapter 5: Act of Kindness

Light trickled in through the curtains, rays of golden sunshine making streaks along the dirty floor of the hotel room. London was just now waking up, it's evil doers and night dwellers scurrying back into hiding to wait for night to come.

My breaths came out evenly, one inhale, one exhale, as I stared up at the ceiling. I had been awake for a while, my clothes had not changed and I felt no different. Yōsei had left me to my own thoughts for the past hour or so, letting me think without a comment from another. Dawn was breaking through the gray clouds that were slowly going away, letting light blue hues shine through.

My hands were behind my head, my feet were hanging off the end of the bed, and my thoughts were running in circles.

The day before, I was told I was a Traveler, destined to save many worlds and lives. I was told what I must do, and what I should look for. I was sent to my first dimension, here in a universe where demons, angels, and grim reapers existed. I was made into a demon for my own protection, which I was just now appreciating.

A loud sigh escaped me into the air and I sat up, popping my neck and back in the process."Yōsei, the plan is to find Ashe or Angela and convince them of the lie we've created?" I said aloud whilst pushing myself off the bed. The maroon dress swished around me, along with the cloak and I walked to the grimy bathroom that reminded me of the crowded shelters for homeless that were useless in reality.

"Yes, that's the plan. You do remember what the story was?" He replied.

I waved a hand over my clothes, transforming them into something less flashy, and nodded. "My family was traveling merchants when thieves ambushed our traveling cart, resulting in my families death. I rushed to Larksbire, then caught a ride here. I've been a gardener for a year since then. Believable?"

"That is the shortest summary I've ever heard. Try with a little more compassion when it's actually time to put those acting skills of yours to use."

I dismissed him with my nonchalant tone, a noticeable difference between last night's panic attack and this morning calmness about the entire thing.

"Yeah yeah, I got it old grump."

My clothes had transformed into masculine worker clothes. My shirt was a beige cotton, fitting just about right, and the sleeves were rolled up to my elbows. My hands were hidden underneath black leather gloves that weren't too fancy, and I wore brown pants that went to my ankles and were slightly baggy. My feet were adorned with scuffed work boots.

"Lovely, I look like a working woman!" I grinned at my reflection in the bathrooms mirror and flexed my arm like I was showing off my muscles. Which I did have.

Yōsei sighed and chuckled. "You're strange."

"Not as strange as a floating light." I countered. It was weird, in fact, that the male voice in my head had no face or body, just a floating light. Like a lightning bug you'd find at Central Park. Yōsei grew silent after my rebuke.

I could hear the bustle of people downstairs as the pub I should say began to gain customers, and the smell of food and the different aromas of souls drifted through the floorboards. I groaned in annoyance and blocked out the smell of the souls, but the food made my stomach growl.

One more thing.. My thigh, where the pain was..

I sat down on the tubs side, pulling the baggy pants leg upward past the middle of my thigh. My slightly scarred pale skin made what was on my thigh stand out with great contrast. A Faustian Contract symbol resided there, a circular image surrounding three diamonds overlapping, with five smaller pentagrams in the space left untouched. This was my brand as a demon, and I grit my teeth as I yanked down my pants leg and swept out of the bathroom, and then out of the room I had rented.