1

I woke up to the faint sound of police sirens. The Locos were up early today. I got out of my bed in what was once a grocery store and didn't get changed because I don't have many pairs of clothes, so I just have to make what I wear last as long as possible.

I walked out of my room and went up the stairs to the cafe. Me and my brother, Jack, live in the old shopping mall in sector 10. Its quite big and gets lonely sometimes because its just the two of us, but there is nothing we can do about it.

I look in the food store that we have on the cafe, but we do have one in the old storage bay that has a combo lock on it, and find myself a can of tinned apricots. I opened it an started eating, saving half the can for later.

Just then, Jack came up the stairs, yawning.

"Good morning" I said to my brother with a half smile.

"Morning" he mumbled, rubbing the tiredness out of his eyes.

He got himself some tinned fruit and went back downstairs, probably to go back downstairs to his room in the old electronics store to fiddle with that radio, wasting the batteries we managed to hide when the Locos came looting.

For some reason, today I feel like everything is going to change. Little do I know just how much...