Chapter 4: A warm welcome

Veda’s POV

After some exploration of the room I had managed to drop away a panel that revealed a porthole. I wanted to take one last look at Earth before making my decision.

After Rimmer had left, I had cried for the first 10 minutes. What if I hadn’t been abducted? I would have been there at the shop. What would have happened?

Rimmer had showed me the video footage of the pillaging that was taking place in London.

He probably didn’t realise it, but he had showed me footage of my bookshop being plundered and destroyed by angry young men. My beautiful bookshop, completely and utterly destroyed.

The bookcases had been ripped down and I had seen one of the teenagers put a few of my more expensive books into his duffel bag. I bet most of them don’t even read. WTF were they going to do with my books???

I groaned. All the money and time I put into that shop. And now all of it was gone.

I looked outside. Fortunately, the ship’s side was faced towards the planet, so I had a wonderful view of Earth.

What should I do? Go back, try to rebuild the shop and hope for the best? How was I going to pay my mortgage with no books to sell? Or buy food for that matter?

Or stay here and take my chances?

This VR sounded very interesting. I could set up a shop in there. And I had an idea for a product that was only possible in VR. I couldn’t stop thinking about it. It would be so awesome if I could make this work. The possibilities would be endless.

I sighed. Rimmer would be back soon.

I suddenly remembered something he had said.

I was selected. Selected for what? Based on what? I am a bookshop owner, not an engineer, a doctor, a soldier or a police officer. Or even a politician.

Rimmer walked in and interrupted me in my train of thoughts.

“Why was I selected? Based on what?” I inquired.

I turned to face him.

“Sorry. What?” he asked surprised.

“You said that I was selected for this mission? What did you mean by that? I was selected for what, based on what?” I asked him again.

“Oh. Uhm. I don’t know. Your file was classified.” He answered me.

“Classified? Why on Earth should my file be classified. I am a bookshop owner for f*ck sake!” I asked him.

He shrugged. “As I already told you, I don’t know. They didn’t give me any information on that.”

In contrast to him, I questioned authority.

“Where can I request access to these files and decisions?” I asked him.

He blinked. “Civilians do not have access to the files.” He responded starting to sound irritated.

G*d he really was such a dick.

“No access, my arse. It is my information, so I want to look at it. Who is your commander?” I asked him equally annoyed.

He glared at me.

“Zach is much too busy to deal with the likes of you.” He answered me.

“The likes of me? Careful with that big mouth of yours, little boy, I eat men bigger than you for dinner.” I replied.

“You really are a handful, aren’t you? Just my luck; I get the most bitchy female on the ship to mentor.” he commented angrily.

“Ahhhh…poor little soldier boy needs to take care of big bad bookshop owner. I am surprised that they ever enlisted you. You have got no backbone whatsoever.” I retorted