Chapter 6

I sat across Malvin at dinner... We got there a bit earlier so mom and I helped Mrs Norman prepare dinner...

Mom and Mrs Norman were talking about something.. I think something about hospital stuff..Dad and Malvin talked about sports, politics and others...

Malvin and I remained quiet... Once a while he will hit me with his leg and then smirk when I look up at him...

"Mal, take Alyssa to your room while l clear this plac up " Mrs Norman said.

"Ermm Mrs Norman I can help with the cleaning up" I said trying to find a way to stay here with them..

"Call me Emily, Alyssa" she replied

"Now you two should get going" she said shoving us away.

I gave my dad a help-me look but he smiled and waved me off.

Malvin led the way up to his room. It was the second room on your right. The opposite room is the play room. The one next to it is Charis' room. The room at the far end is Miles' room his elder brother. He is in college like my sis. I actually don't know why he was telling me all that but he did..

His room was like every boy's room.. Smelt like them.. Paintings on the wall, dresses flying in all directions..He didn't even bother picking the boxer that was lying by the bed..But his room looked better than I had expected..

He didn't ask me to sit but I sat anyway..There was a study desk close to the window.. I looked on the wall ahead of me..I was lying on the bed now.. There was a picture hanging there. It was a young blonde girl putting on a forced smile and a boy beside her..He was grinning..

I remember that pic... I had no idea he will keep it..I looked at him he was staring at the picture as well...

"You kept it ???" I asked him.. He just shrugged..

"We were in fifth grade right?"

This time he nodded and laid on the bed as well... Not beside me tho..

We were just there. He staring at the ceiling and me trying not to stare at him too much.

"You still hate me right?" he asked.

I don't know why he asked but I have to answer..

"You still a badass" I said

He turned to face me and he smiled. I smiled back..Maybe he isn't that bad as I thought..

I don't know how it happened but we were playing video games and laughing and cussing and hitting each other... I liked it. It was nice.

We were laughing over something Malvin said when we heard a knock on the door. We were still giggling when the person entered.. We looked towards the door when the person entered.. It was Charis Malvin's eleven years old sister. She was looking at us like we are insane especially moi... She had this " what-is-this-bitch-doing-in-my-brother's-room" look planted on her face.

"Is she your girlfriend? You have never brought any girl home since -" she didn't finish her sentence when her brother cut in.

"Shut it Charis" he said

I looked at him he wasn't smiling and he wasn't angry too..

"She doesn't know? I thought everyone at school knew" she said.

"No one knows except for the boys. And she is new at school" he said.

"You hitting on her?"

"Geez, Charis no she is just an old friend and mom and dad invited she and her parents to dinner okay??"

"Well I only saw mom and dad downstairs and no one else"

That is when I spoke.

"My parents aren't downstairs??" I ask her.
She shook her head.

I didn't wait another more second. I rush downstairs. I could hear Malvin following me ... I got to the bottom of the stairs and look around.. True my parents weren't around...

"Where is my mom and dad Mrs Norman" I ask

She cleared her throat before speaking..

"There was an emergency at hospital your mom was needed immediately" she said looking sorry..

"They didn't even say goodbye" I whispered.

They couldn't have heard me but am sure Malvin did because he is standing right beside me. I laugh for no actual reason.

"Am going home"I announced after a while.

"I will take her home" Malvin said.

I wanted to refuse but I couldn't find the strength to do so.. I don't know why am behaving like this. It's not like this is the first time.. Maybe it is I thought.... There was silence all the way to my house.. I got down immediately the car stopped in front of my house. I headed straight inside. He followed but I couldn't care less.. I run up to my room and jumped onto the bed closing my eyes tightly.