Chapter Ten

I pull away from the blinds and move faster than I have in these past few days to the door. I don't care if there's anyone waiting for me. Gilbert pounds at the door and I race through the kitchen. I fumble with the lock, both the deadbolt and the one on the knob are stuck. I hear car tires screech and a door slam on the other side of the door.

"No. No, no, no, no." I shake at the door knob and pull at the locks with both my hands. Finally, the door flies open and I wait in the door way.

"... You just can't grab a clue, can you?!" My father is yelling at Gilbert.

" If you weren't crazy and locked up you're daughter I wouldn't even be here goddamn it!" Gilbert has moved closer to the man's car.

I don't know if I should step in or stay back. I decide to stay out of a fight between two angry men much bigger than me. My father swings his fist at Gilbert and nails him right in the face. I'm holding my breath, terrified. Gilbert stumbles backward, but quickly regains his strength and grabs the man. He sweeps his feet and holds his arms behind his back.

"Call the police, Wynne!" Gilbert yells breathlessly. 

The man kicks at Gilbert and frees himself. He pulls a knife from his jacket pocket, " If you call them I'll kill him. And what is there to call me on?" The coldness in his voice makes me feel sick. 

I stay frozen, waiting until Gilbert can grab him again. I can't move, but I gather up my courage and speak, " I hate you!" I yell at the top of my lungs, making my father spin towards me. "You can come kill me if you want. You've already made my life hell enough!" My hands shake as he moves closer to me. "That's right! Come here you stupid asshole! You ruin every-"

Gilbert grabs the man and throws him to the ground, holding him down by stepping on him. I rush inside and call the police, who say they'll come right away, which is probably true, considering everything in Endora is about three feet away. I whisper this to Gilbert who nods and we wait. My father has remained silent because, I believe, he hit his head, got knocked out somehow. The police arrive shortly and pick my father up, who wakes up. I'll never know why or how he fell asleep like that just enough for me to call the police. I guess that one is a miracle. 

Gilbert takes me home. Once I get out of his truck, I hug him. 

" You saved me." I whisper. We hold the hug for a long time and I breathe for the first time in four days. Really breathe, I inhale and exhale, not that choked up half breathing thing that I've done to avoid breathing in that whiskey smell. It feels great.

All I know for now, is that things are bound to get better without my father and mother here to stop me. I guess, before things ever get better, things have to get worse. But I'm okay with that, because now I have Gilbert, and now I'll be okay.

-

-

-

Epilogue

I would like to thank everyone who has taken the time to read this story. This was my first fan fiction, and while there's always things that could be improved, I'm terribly proud of this little story. I am utterly grateful to everyone who supported me and kept on reading this story, it means so much to me. While this is a shorter story, i wanted to start small. I'm happy with the end product and plan on writing much longer stories after this. It has been quite the fun experience to write such a story, and I look forward to many more stories here. Thank you all.

The End.