His True Nature

A/N: Scariest chapter yet, I'd have to say. Read on, but you were warned. ;) Remember to vote and comment! Also, Happy Halloween, you crazy kids! Have fun! :D

Zaine started to scare me when I was nine. I would have horrible dreams of him that left me waking up in the dark, panting heavily. The dream was always this:

We were in a forest, not unlike the one near my house; he would peer out from behind a tree and wave one of his tentacles at me.

“Let’s play hide and seek, Electra!” He laughed.

 Suddenly, his voice would turn from friendly to scary. “You can hide, and I’ll seek! But I’ll win, because I will always find you. I always know where you are. You can’t hide for long…” He suddenly his eyes would turn to black to white that blended in with his white head, but I could feel them staring at me, see the little bit of light reflecting off them.

“1, 2, 3…” Slender Man would start to count, using MY voice, just to mock me. How he did that, I’ll never know.

I ran, trying to get out of the forest. After a while, I realized I was going in circles. But then I saw a light ahead. It was a way out! The trees blocked my way, its rough bark scraping my skin.

I raced to the exit, only to be stopped by one of Zaine’s huge tentacles. I turned around slowly and saw him. He was a towering monster; his whole body was bloodstained, ruining his white shirt. Red, just like when he killed the cat, was around his mouth. The blood on his face was dry, a mottled brown.

“I found you...” He hissed and would start to wrap his tentacles around my body. I woke up then. I had this dream repeatedly, over the course of several months.

One night I asked,” What exactly is the Corporation, and what does it do?”

Zaine’s shoulders stiffened, but he said simply,” It’s a multiversal company that looks for children and sometimes grownups with exceptional imaginations. We eventually bring them back to strengthen their powers.”

“But I already know that! What do they use the powers for?”I asked impatiently, wanting to know why I had such bad feelings about Zaine.

“You’ll find out when you come back with me.” Now, Zaine was eyeing me suspiciously.

I shivered. He knew what I was up to. He won’t let me escape his clutches without a fight.

One night, he appeared in front of my window proclaiming as always, “Hi, Electra! Want to come outside?”I glanced at my sleeping sister’s form; she was silent in the bed next to mine. I was reading a book and didn’t want to be bothered.

“No, Slendy.” That simple sentence I said, while reading my book, changed my life.

It wasn’t too unusual; I never had come outside with him before. But Slender Man wanted to be known by his full name, not nicknames…

“Slendy? My name is Zaine, or if you want to be formal, Slender Man. Not Slendy.” He narrowed his fathomless black eyes. For the first time, he was glaring at me with hate. It almost made me fall out of my bed. Zaine had never done this before, never showed emotions other than happy and persuasive.

“So? Does it really matter? You’re a freaky alien either way! You’re stalking me in my dreams! Just stop it!” I bawled, suddenly noticing that he had been around me as long as I could remember. It was beyond scary.

Zaine put a tentacle to his lips and shushed me.

“You’ll wake everyone up, Electra.” He murmured. All anger was gone; his face was blank again. He then tried to open up the window furiously, before; I had made sure to lock it.

Just like in the dream, Slender Man murmured,” You can’t hide for long…”

I screamed and ran out of the room. At that moment, I was thinking,” Oh God, he’s coming for me! HE’S COMING!!!”

I suddenly thought,” Storm! He’ll get her!” I raced back to the room and pulled Storm out of her bed, she started to cry from being woken up in the middle of the night. I gasped; Zaine was still at the window. He waved a tentacle at me evilly, and I screamed and ran, Storm’s hand in mine. She cried, “Who was that man?”

As I ran to my parent’s room with Storm, yelling,” WHO WAS THAT MAN?”, I knew I couldn’t hide any longer behind a window. He was coming for me. I couldn’t do anything to stop him. And he would take Storm down with me.