Chapter 4

Her eyes lock onto mine and I stare into them, chocolate molten lava courses through my veins when I see her. I sit there staring at her like an idiot and it looks like she can't stop either. I snap out of my gaze when I realize that we are moving and I give one longing glance in her direction.

She quickly finishes setting the table and rushes out of the room without another disturbance. I grab my marker and dry-erase board and write a note to Daniel.

"Who was she?"

I hold it up to him and he studies it raising his eyebrows.

"She's an avox, she committed a crime against the capitol and had her tongue cut out because of it." He half whispers to me.

I sit there with my mouth open in shock but I quickly regain my posture. Daniel smirks at me and we pay attention to the food being served. I am handed a plate with mashed-potatoes, steak, and Lima beans mixed in on the side. My mouth starts watering and I begin to dig in.

The Lima beans taste fresh in my mouth and the steak is prime. I feel sorry for the avox for a second because she has no sense of taste. I listen to the conversation instead.

"I just love that Thomas is a mute, it's so intriguing and he'll have sponsors lined up around the block. I can just see the press." Molly chirps happily and it makes me sick to my stomach that anyone could be so happy to see someone get attention before there death.

I know that my chances are slim, but I have to try. I can't just jump off the plate like I've seen happen so many times before.

I finish eating my steak and secretly hope for seconds but I don't think my stomach could take it. I look at Daniel and write a note considering he is the only one I can trust.

"Where did the avox go?"

He looks at it and sighs.

"I'm sorry to tell you this, but because of her crime against Panem, If you interact with her in any way, she would be punished because of it."

My heart breaks a little because of what he said and he looks at me sadly. He turns himself back to his daydream and blocks out the world like he is so good at. The avoxes who serve dinner come and retrieve the plates and we all stand.

"Let's go watch the reaping recaps." Molly's voice strains to reach over the large table and we all follow her. I end up walking by Adiese and I smile at her trying to get off on a better foot than before.

She mumbles something unintelligible under her breath, but I can still tell it's something rude.

We reach the living room and Molly makes a TV appear by clapping her hands. I guess entertainment is their biggest priority. It pops up and Ceaser Flickerman is the first face I see, directing the attention to him and the screen behind him.

It shows district 1 and the picturesque girl has blond hair and a stink eye that could kill. She goes by the name of stardust and I puke inwardly because of the name. The boy is bigger than the camera and the man has to adjust it embarrassingly. His name is Dracon and it rushes to district 2 immediately.

I see a dark-skinned girl, which is awkward for district 2, rush to the stage bravely. She takes her place and states her name as Laura Nino. The boy was scrawny for district two's standards and I ignore him until district 3.

District 3 goes onto the screen and I can't help but stop thinking of the avox I saw earlier. The thought of her makes me blush and I wish I could get to know her better. I pay attention to district 4 because they are always competitors with spears. They volunteer and, as usual, the girl is some model plucked straight from the sea.