IV

"We want to have an audience with the Baron" said some people who were anxiously waiting in the castle's corridors, to the guards that watched and kept order. "How long should we wait?" said other voices, while everyone murmured among themselves.

They have spent a long time in the fortress and wanted some answers. The purpose of their visit was to do business or seek concessions from the Regent; they were nobles, local and foreign, so they were not used to wait that long.

"The Baron has the absolute power. He'll decide if you are to be attended or not" said one of the guards in response to the complaints. The discontent began to increase due to this last comment. "If you do not agree with what I've just said, you can get out at this very moment" said the guard with authority. This managed to silence the crowd; but still they kept an anxious and uncomfortable stance.

After a few minutes, a servant called Gustavus, came out from the door protected by the sentinels to address the crowd, "the Baron will not receive more people for the rest of the day" the crowd immediately began to complain at the messenger, the nobles felt that they didn't receive the respect they deserved; "you can come back tomorrow, to resume your affairs. Please keep calm" he added, gesturing with his hands to reassure them.

The guards began to mobilize them, to get them out of the castle in an orderly fashion. The servant remained in place to ensure that the sentinels do not commit abuses towards the nobles.

Everyone left the hall, except for one person. The soldiers stared at him with perplexity. He was dressed different from the other nobles. A dark green robe completely covered his body. It had some leaves and flowers figures embroidered on the fabric. His dark reddish hair was long and curly; a beard of the same color reached all the way to his waist. His eyes were light green, with a penetrating gaze.

"It is time for you to leave the castle" said a guard to the odd man, he remained motionless.

"Are you deaf? Don't you understand Latin?" he insisted. The subject remained still. The two guards and the servant began to approach slowly, to make him abide the instruction. Force him, if necessary.

His intense green eyes followed every move made by those three people. They were closing the distance slowly, apparently out of fear or caution. When they were close enough, the guards tried to hold him by his arms. Just before they made contact, the man raised his right hand, with the palm facing the guards; causing them to remain motionless by the effect of some strange force. The sentries closed their eyes and remained standing in the same position without making any movement.

The servant was stunned, watching what had just happened. He opened his mouth to say something, he tried to warn others, ask for help, but it was useless; the words simply didn't come out.

The man in green clothes glared at him while saying "Gustavus, I need to have an audience with the Baron. It's a matter of life or death".

"How does he knows my name? I don't know this man, never seen him before", thought the servant. A heat that provided him with comfort began to envelop his body; he felt an inner peace and an unusual calm in his heart. Actually he couldn't find any argument to oppose the request from that oddball. So, he had no other choice but to lead him to the Regent's hall.

Once inside the room, Gustavus and the mysterious man witnessed an uncomfortable conversation.

"My lord; while it's true that his Majesty King Béla IV ordered and allocated resources for the Kingdom's reconstruction, we cannot waste the money in the way that we are doing" said the Bishop.

"Are you saying that it's a waste of money when someone wants to rebuild schools and hospitals?" asked the Baron enraged, "you don't seem to defend the main interests of the Catholic Church, Konrád".