Epilouge

Clive Shaw held the small bag above his head as he ran on the sidewalk. He could hear the sound of the rain as it fell harshly . A large tree nearby looked like it was about to fall and the thunder was rumbling overhead. There was no one in the streets as all the offices had been closed early but of course he had to stay so he could earn something for his family to eat today.

He turned left and entered a dimly lit alley. To his left a old woman, in her late 80's,was sitting down on a nearly broken bench but he didn't bother to stop. He wanted to help her. Maybe share his  home with her tonight and some bread to eat but what he had was not even sufficient for three.

After five minutes of running he finally reached a small cottage which was well hidden from view by some trees. The paint was peeling off and a few tiles had come off the roof due to age. The yard was unkept and all the flowers in the flower bed were dead.The door was stuck but he managed to open it with a dusty key and a push.

He stepped inside the damp room and made sure that he warded the door carefully behind him. His one year old daughter was sitting on the floor playing with a dirty piece of paper.She was crying bitterly  but when she looked up and saw him,a little laugh escaped from her lips and she threw the paper aside.

"How's my baby girl doing?" Clive threw his bag on the ground and knelled down beside the baby who now had her little hands raised waiting for him to carry her.

He grinned and picked her up from the dirty floor before standing up and looking around the room. He had not noticed it when he entered but his girlfriend,was not in the room. That was strange.... She never left the house without letting him know first.

"Where's mama,Amber?" Clive asked the little baby who now had her head against his chest and was playing with his shirt button.

It was then that he noticed it. Amber had thrown the note under the old dinning table. He walked over to the table and placed Amber on it before bending down and removing the note out.

The paper was old and badly torn from somewhere. It was written in block and the handwriting was small and slanted. You could easily make out that the person had scribbled it in a hurry.

Dear Clive,
                    I'm so sorry. I'm sorry for leaving you and Amber. You'll both are everything to me but I have to leave. I wish I could have given you one last hug but I knew you would have never let me go. I know this will be hard for you and even more harder for Amber. She is without a mother now but please tell her that I will always be there watching over her. I know you wanted to marry me some day. I too want to spend my life time by your side but it's not possible.
                       I can't give you any information as to where I am because it's best if you stay away from me. I don't want you'll both in danger. Please promise me you'll never try to find me. Keep smiling for me. Stay strong and remember that I'm always there in your hearts. 
                                Love Nathalie Evans.

He placed the note back on the table as tears escaped from his eyes. He tried to fight them and stay strong for the little baby that was now looking at the note and then at him but he just couldn't. She had left him without a goodbye? After everything they had been through? He had loved her more than anything. He would have been ready to give his life for her. It didn't matter how much danger she would be to him.

He picked up Amber once again and sat down on the floor with her in his lap. She looked into his eyes as he took her hand in his large one and then looked back up at her.

"Amber dad will always be with you. No matter what. I promise you this." He sniffed and then hugged his little girl.

****************
This is the first time I've written anything like this so please excuse me if the story sounds boring or anything. Also please excuse my grammatical and spelling mistakes. I will correct them when I edit the story later- Shania

Please vote if you like this chapter and leave me some feedback so I can improve.