Chapter 1: Monday 7 Days

Monday, 7 Days

I took the battered head phones out of my ears and looked at the unfolding scene quizzically.

Two boys I think I'm in the same class with were yelling at each other and moving around as if they were going to start fighting. I shrugged and kept walking the other way. As I walked further I could still hear them both arguing,

"We need...!"

"No they're ours!"

"You don't deserve...!"

"How dare you!"

"...Rightfully ours!"

"Over my dead body."

"You're already too late."

That's my cue to leave. Those boys are creepy, I made a mental note not to get involved with either of them.

"Hey." I jumped and swirled around to see who it was,

"Relax Grace, I'm not gonna kill you!" laughed my now not so friend Sam. She shook her head and motioned to keep walking.

"See that fight?"she asked.

"Nah, of course not. Despite what you think, I am not vision and hearing impaired." I answered.

"It looked like it was going to get really serious." I commented as an afterthought.

There was a lull in the conversation for a while. I kept wondering where I'd seen those boys from.

"Do you know what it was about?" I asked. Sam turned pale, like she does when she's lying,

"No!" she said quickly and an octave higher than usual.

"Sam." I warned.

"Oh, would you look at the time! Thanks for walking me home!"

"Sam!" I tried to say, but she was already at the front door of her Victorian era house. Without meaning to, I'd walked her home. I shook my head realising I would have to take the long way back.

I sighed theatrically and replaced my head phones to their respective ears. I started walking when I realised I hadn't pressed play on my phone.

I fumbled through my shorts pocket and pressed what I thought was play. My head phones vibrated, but no sound came out. Suddenly, a deep raspy voice started repeating over and over;

"No more time, you're already dead. No more time, you're already dead. No more time, you're already dead."

I felt like screaming when the repetitive chanting didn't stop, still sending shivers down my back. The warm summers day suddenly turned cold, the sun's rays turned heat-less and meaningless. I quickly took my phone out and tried to change the thing playing, but it wouldn't stop.

I swear I never downloaded this! I ripped my headphones off and was about to throw the evil piece of technology on the concrete, but I just stared at the new message on the screen.

'Grace has~7~ days.'