Chapter 8 - Wherein Boys are Overprotective and Words are Said

(Middle names are made up 😜)

"So, what's something about you that no one else knows?" We're walking hand in hand along a dirt road, grass on either side and a spread of trees surrounding us. Our feet are making footsteps in the dirt, leaving trails behind us.

"Hmm . . . I have a middle name." He blushes slightly and scratches his head with the hand that isn't holding onto mine.

"And?" It must be bad if he's acting this way. But then again, it might not be as bad as mine.

"Ferdinand." I burst out laughing and his face turns a brighter red while also laughing with me, his chuckle much lower than mine.

"It's nearly as bad as mine!" I giggle, elbowing him in the side.

"What's yours?" He breathers into my ear lowly and I feel a steady flush rising up my checks.

"Kamelion. . ." He bursts out laughing and I cover my eyes with my free hand, able to feel the heat from the flush on my cheeks. We stop suddenly and he slowly moves my hand from my eyes.

"I love it." Kissing me lightly on the cheek, he turns away and continues pulling me along, his own cheeks a light pink. I walked in a daze, my fingers lightly pressing against the skin where his lips had been pressed against my, now, flushed cheeks.

"Then I'll love it as well." It was kind of cool, but only if he thought that it was. Our feet continued on, my head now resting against his arm, wrapped in the warmth exuding from his body.

"What's your favourite colour?" He asks as we near the end of the dirt road, a cobbled one before us. As I'm about to answer he speaks. "I'm guessing orange." He says cheekily and I pout.

"Just because I wear orange doesn't mean it's my favourite colour!"

"So what is your favourite colour then?"

"...orange..." A smile lights up his face.

"Sorry? What was that? I didn't hear you!"

"If you didn't hear me, you need your ears checked!" I mutter under my breath.

"Now that, I definitely heard!" He pinches my sides and I jump away from him with a yelp.

"Well, I'm -" I'm cut off by a passer by who shoves me aside as he barrels past us. Before I have the chance to fall, I'm caught and held close to the man before me.

"Are you okay?! How do you feel?! Does it hurt?! Anywhere?! At all?! Levy?! Answer me! What's 1 + 1?!" he fires off rapidly and I flush a deep red and mutter in the cloth of his coat. "What did you say?!" He lets go of me and moves me only a centimetre or two away. "Did I hurt you?! Is that what you're saying?! Are you okay?! Oh, I'm so sorry Levy!! I didn't mean to! It was an accident! I -"

"I'm fine Gajeel!" I cut him off, laughing lightly, he breathes a sigh of relief and leans down till his forehead is pressed against mine and his knees are pressed against the ground.

"Thank Mavis!" He sighs and, once again, I laugh lightly.

"I think I love you Gajeel." I freeze at the words that had come from my own mouth and, in response, he freezes and all is silent.