You Don't Know A Thing. (Chapter 9)

Niall’s P.O.V.

I looked at Josh with a distain I had acquired for him. He hurt Alea and I don’t understand why. Alea copped a similar attitude and said, “No, Josh. You’re her father. Niall’s her daddy.” Pride swelled in my chest along with love. I couldn’t believe that she was sticking up for me so freely. Confusion destroyed those feelings and was soon replaced by dread as the man I punched early stepped from the car. I felt Cora shift in my arm. She laid her curly head down on my shoulder and yawned. I turned my head and fixed the strap that was attached to her backpack that was slung over my other shoulder, “Josh,” I began as I fixed my expression, “please, we don’t want any trouble; we’re just going to get in our cars and leave.” Zayn- who was standing on my left- leaned down and picked up the car seat. He looked at me, his eyes flashed some emotion that I couldn’t make out and only later figured out was a warning. A warning that told me if Josh went too far, he would help me out. I looked over at the rest of the boys and saw similar signs of loyalty; Louis clenched and unclenched his fists, Harry looked ready to grab Cora and Alea- whatever happened outside must have changed his opinion on Alea- Liam was flexing his arm muscles. A small smile crossed over onto my lips. I looked at him and raised my eyebrows expectantly. Josh was wearing a similar smile and he motioned to the man with him as he said, “Now, now Mr. Horan. My friend he just needs his money.” Out of the corner of my eye I saw Alea shrink slightly. I kept my appearance as pleasant as ever, “Of course, well, how much does she owe him?”

“Well, she owes him $564,027.36 American dollars.” My heart stopped for a moment, sure I had the money, but that’s at least 425,232.24 Euros! I took a deep breath and I made sure to pronounce my words carefully, “We can’t give you the money if we’re trapped in this parking lot.” Josh seemed to consider this then he shook his head,

“I can’t just let you leave. I need a ‘good faith’ payment. I need insurance, if you will,” Josh said slyly.

“What do you want?” I said making sure to allow a small about of my anger to seep into my voice. Josh looked around. Something vicious landed in his eyes when they fell on Cora, “Her.” His voice was cold, all the faux kindness gone. “If you don’t want to give her to me, I will have to take her by force.” My hand moved protectively to Cora’s small back. Alea jumped towards her daughter and placed her hand on Cora’s curly-haired-head. I slowly handed Cora to Alea and Harry approached us. “Come with me.” He whispered to Alea. He placed a hand on the small of her back and gently guided her towards the orphanage. A prick of jealousy hit me, but I quickly brushed it off. I held my head slightly higher and simply stated, “You know I won’t do that.” Josh nodded and didn’t seem surprised at all by my response, “You’ve made your choice.” The goon stepped forward towards me and Liam flew out of nowhere, “Get Josh!” He said as he ran past me. I nodded and looked up at Josh. He had just hung up the phone and was approaching his car. I started running before I knew I was. I tackled Josh just as he opened the door. A new car flew past me, “Who did you call? Who did you call?!” I shouted at him. Instead of answering me like a normal person, he spat at me.

I wiped my face and growled, “Fine, have it your way.” I swung my fist down and it took every part of me not to cringe. I hit his face so hard, I heard his nose snap. I looked down at him and asked again as he groaned in pain, “Who. Did. You. Call?!” I shouted biting at every word. I heard Louis shout in pain from somewhere behind me. Normally, I would have turned and looked to see if my mate was ok, but all my attention was focused on this S.O.B.. He hurt Alea, he tried to steal Cora… he was going to pay more than just through the nose. (Pun intended.) He smiled and laugh which resulted in him cringed in pain, “You’ll see.” Right as the words came out of his mouth, I heard sirens. I suppressed a shuddered as my blood chilled, I looked over at Liam, Louis and Zayn. Liam was struggling with a thug and Zayn was trying to pull him off Liam. Louis was nowhere to be found. “The odds are in our favor, jack wagon!” I almost laughed but then Josh flipped me over and was now sitting on top of me. Pain exploded in my face as Josh began repeatedly punching my face. I heard Alea scream. Alea? She was inside the building, how was she out here? Where were Cora and Harry? I cried out in face as the sirens got closer and I felt warm blood drip onto my cheek, off of Josh’s broken nose. I cried softly as I heard constable’s shouting and my world went black.