Scar|1

Scarlet Blue stared beyond the rusty rods into the horizon, the blue clouds turned pink and orange as the sun set far too quickly for the day. Another day, another misery. She wasn't ready to face what's coming for her, truth be told.

The heavy stomps on the ground enough to be heard through the small narrow doors of the cell, were a clear information that today was one of those days. A day when all the warders came to inspect the cells themselves to see if anyone smuggled something in and everyone is disciplined.

Her heart was far from beating fast, she wasn't that kind to be running from something she wasn't afraid of. She had nothing to hide nor feel insecure of her personality. She was known for her character in the prison, only she had to work hard to be that one person who everyone knew of.

"Are you sure that this time you're not going to be trashed?" Molly a fellow inmate asked.

"That only time will tell," scarlet replied, she slid down the cold concrete wall as the pebbles attached to it, scraped a good amount of the material of her prison uniform shirt.

"You will be free, Scarlet. It is only a matter of time as you said,"

Scarlet turned her gaze to the already disappeared sun, as it vanished a little earlier than she thought that day. Even with the sun gone, it left a mark, a spot where it had been and that was enough to hold on to for her. Just like that sun, she had spot, a mark who was still waiting for her to return and until that mark remains she will live and be free even if it takes her last breath for that moment.

"Hurry, get on the bed, they're here," whispered Molly.

"They can smell fear, Molly." She said in a returning whisper.

Those were the last words before the jingle of keys echoed into their cells, as she straightened from her sitting stance and clutched her fingers down on her faded black and white striped pants. Her eyes never once rose as the two warders walked into the cell. A strong stench of sweat hit her nose, as one of the wardens stepped in front of her. The comfortable silence was now threatened by unnecessary noises. Not good, dangerous for her, she thought.

She could feel the hate induced gaze digging down on her body as it roamed all over her body, until they finally stopped in her face. She didn't look up, but that didn't stop her from sensing it, nor from blocking the blurred side glances she gave every two to three seconds.

The warder took a challenging step towards her, and that triggered scarlet's inner fears. She didn't act scared or near terrified, but god forbid she was petrified. Her insides shook, and heart trembled. Her throat constricted and saliva dried, she was far from saved, this was just a mere beginning.

"So Scarlet, I heard you have something special for us this month," the squeaky voice of the warden made her insides twist, as if one had crucified them.

The agony of carrying that fear was so strong it was already written on her face, as if it was tattooed in black ink that she was already shaking in terror. She was always hard to read, but her fear was the only thing that made any onlooker make her feel like she was an easy to read open book.

A loud chuckle emitted the room, as the warder cackled like an evil witch happy that she caught a worm in her hand who she could wiggle and terrorise as per her wish. But Scarlet didn't step back, she didn't flinch, nor did she cry.

She was in too much of an awe to do any of the above, all she could do was to get herself to calm down, before she panicked and really bought trouble on to her. Her gut was churning and her panic bubbling. A little more longer, and she would be as easy as a pastry doe, they would kneed her until she was grotesque.