5

I've had hallucinations before, but nothing was as profound or tangible as my dad's face in front of me at this precise moment. His hands on my cheeks felt so real before they went around me in an embrace.

Savoring the warmth and familiar scent of him, I closed my eyes and held tight. Any moment now I would wake up from a dream or whatever drug I'd taken would wear out soon.

When I heard his soft laugh, my heart wilted. He was gone and it was so cruel for my brain to conjure him this way.

"No, you're not hallucinating, Len," he chuckled. I must have said my thoughts out loud. He held my shoulders and gently pulled me away, wiping the tears on my cheeks. "I am very much alive. I've missed you, love."

"D-Dad? Is it... really... you?"

He nodded, smiling at me as he rose then helped me up to my feet.

"But... how? How are you alive?"

"I'm afraid time is my enemy, princess. My presence is a danger for you. Mr. Hawke—Jasper," he corrected, "will explain everything once I'm gone. You can trust him."

Once I'm gone.

I was shaking my head frantically, holding onto him like a child. "I can't lose you again, Dad. Please, don't—"

"Listen to me, Len. Listen," he repeated earnestly. "I have done a lot of... bad things. Terrible things. I am a coward because I'll be gone before you learn of what I've done."

He lowered his eyes, sighing deeply before he raised them again to mine. "I am deeply sorry to you and your brother for putting both of you in this position. I hope that someday you will find a way to forgive me in your heart."

"Dad, what have you done?"

He shook his head. "After this day ends, you and Liam are free from the monarchy. Listen to Jasper and follow his instructions. You'll be safe with him. Do it for me." His eyes softened as he held my face in his hands. "Be good." He kissed my forehead. "Be strong, my princess."

"Dad, I—"

"I have to speak with Mr. Hawke now. In private."

I nodded stiffly, stepped out of the cabin and closed the door behind me. Sliding limply against it, I fell into a heap on the ground. I felt wrung dry, but the squeezing pain in my chest wouldn't subside. Leaning my head against the door, I closed my eyes and refused to think.

"Deliver her safely to the villa tomorrow. After that your mission is done. You're free to go."

Tears poured down my face as I heard my dad's voice behind the door. So I wasn't just losing my dad. I was losing Jasper too.

I pushed up from the ground as anger filled my veins. I wanted to hit both of them, hurt them until they felt the pain that was eating me inside out. Suddenly I was running, running as fast as I could until my lungs felt too tight and I couldn't keep going anymore. Still I pushed. When my foot tangled around a vine, I let out a cry and tumbled on the ground.

And wept.

*

The crunch of dry leaves under heavy boots awakened me, but I stayed where I was, refusing to open my eyes.

"Princess."

Jasper. His tone, so quiet and somber, awakened the pain in my heart.

"He's gone, isn't he?"

It was a moment before he responded. "Yes."

My heart dropped in my stomach. "He's a coward. He couldn't even say goodbye."