Chapter 14

Beads of sweat trailed from your forehead to the side of your face as the tension in the room sat heavily. Chara had gotten a cheap shot on you by cutting your dominant hand. Your stick was slowly chipping leaving splinters in your injured hand. It hurt so much and tears threatened to surface in your eyes, but you stayed determined. I can do this. I will do this.

A burst of adrenaline flowed through your body as you mercilessly attacked Chara. She dodged, almost acrobatically, but was clumsy with your final swing and allowed a hit to her arm, bruising it. You kept your distance as she attempted to stand up but sank down, quivering, while holding her hurt arm. She was now at 40 and you at 20, so you couldn't afford to allow her anymore cheap shots. She smiled while trembling as she switched hands and clutched the knife. She slowly rose from her feet but her stance was still low to the ground, allowing her to scrape the cold hard metal against the floor. It left a thin trail of blood, your blood. You braced yourself, your heart pumping faster than ever as she charged for the last attack.

She was too quick and before you knew it, she stabbed you, ever so slowly. A whimper escaped your lips and she slowly pushed the knife into your side and swiftly pulled it out. Her face was emotionless and you looked at the floor.

Sans' voice echoed in your head, "don't say i didn't warn you, kiddo." Why couldn't you just listen? You watch your blood drip slowly off the knife and onto the floor, syncing with your slowing heartbeat. How did it come to this? How could it end like this?

With a grunt, you raised your shaking hand to the knife in Chara's hand.

"Why can't you just die, Y/N? You're making this harder for both us." She tried to stab you again but your strong grip prevented her from doing so. You snatched the knife from her, surprisingly easily, since she was startled by your newfound strength. Every single movement caused a painful throb that radiated through your body.

You pinned Chara down, the gash bleeding onto her. You took the knife and raised it over her chest. "What are you doing? Please, don't do this Y/N. I won't take the souls, you can. I-I promise."

You couldn't hear her, or anything for that matter, but you knew what you had to do. Tears streamed down her face as you slowly lowered the knife, causing her to thrash and attempt to kick you off. It hurt.

Smiling, you weakly threw the knife behind your back and collapsed on top of her, embracing her tightly. Her breath wavered and you could hear her heartbeat calm down. Hot tears streamed down into Chara's sweater, mixing with the dried blood. Arms slowly reached around your waist and returned the hug. "Y/N..." She slowly lifted your head and you could see all of the emotions she tried to hide from you. "I-I'm, I'm so, so sorry."

She began sobbing while stroking your hair gently. You were fighting to stay alive as you clutched the wound on your side. She laid you on your back and walked towards your backpack behind you. "Just stay right there, I'll be back." she called out to you. After a bit of shuffling, she returned holding something behind her back, which was a Legendary Hero.

"C'mon, eat it. You'll be feeling better in no time." You reached for it until a glimpse of aqua caught your eye and Chara had a bone impaled into her stomach. A clinking sound resonated next to you; a knife, along with the no longer appetizing Legendary Hero.

Sans swiftly picked you up and carried you towards the entrance of Asgore's garden. Chara was reaching out her hand and softly calling your name. It didn't last too long, as you watched her eyes dull and her corpse slump against the wall. You shuddered and turned your head to Sans.

"B-but Sans, why'd you-"
"come back? i knew you weren't like her, kiddo." He winked at you.

You two reached the gray hallway and Sans slowly placed you in front of a save point.

"i want you to do something for me, Y/N. open the save point and reset. do a true reset. i changed around a few things to enable it."

He looked at you with his pinpricks burning into your soul.

"O-okay Sans. I'll do it." 
"thanks, buddy. and when you come back, let's try to, uh, not do this again."

You could still see the dried blood contrasting against his white t-shirt. You felt horrible and closed your eyes in shame.

"I'm so sorry, Sans.." your voice trailed off and you looked at the ground again, tearing up.
"sh, it's ok, bucko." He hugged you and stroked your hair, soothing you. "now let's make things right, ok?"

You opened the save menu, and pressed the option True Reset.
*Do you wish to do a True Reset?
>Yes
>No

You hovered your hand over the word Yes. A smile crept over your face. You can trust me this time Sans. You were filled with determination. You pressed Yes, and was thrown into complete darkness. You woke up, with your head spinning and you tried to distinguish your location. Only this time, you knew where you were. You had a fate to change.