Chapter one.

"I'm sorry to inform you Ms. Jones but due to the upcoming events and due to your daughters condition, we have to stop chemotherapy. all the doctors that have seen and examined Penelope here just don't believe she can get better in a year let alone a year and half when the solar flare is happening. We estimate that Penelope has a little more or a little less than 6 months left, but honestly things like this are hard to guarantee"

Penelope wasn't surprised at her doctors words, but she was angry, not because they were taking her off chemotherapy, she could care less, but what made her angry was that the doctor was only 4 feet away and still couldn't address her himself. instead he broke the news to Vicky, Penelope's mother. the poor women looked worn down, tissues overflowing out of her pockets like the tears from her dull brown eyes. she looked even worse than Penelope and that was saying a lot.

Penelope hated everything besides the cancer, she hated the hospital lights, the food, her mother's tears, the stupid fake pitiful smiles on people's faces when they take a look upon her shining head, the doctors that couldn't even talk to her directly even when they are in the same goddamn room, and the worse part wasn't even the chemo, it was the fact that no one cared for the dying girl anymore, she wasn't worth any doctors time. everyone was going to die in exactly a year and six months according to some smart researchers at NASA that first discovered the unusual solar flare patterns. now, according to doctors, any deaths (or dying people for that matter) from now on and until then don't seem to matter or have any effect because just a few more months down the road the deceased will soon be joined by their loved ones.

so to the doctors Penelope wasn't a dying girl anymore, instead now she's just a regular girl who's life will be cut short just like the rest of them. doomed like everyone else. this however, didn't faze Penelope one bit. the only thing bothering her now was that her mother was having more of a harder time than she was, and she was the one with needles all though her arms. Penelope accepted that she was going to die, she knew it wouldn't be long before the end of all life but her mother couldn't accept that fact. she couldn't face the end. especially of her only daughter, the only family she's ever had. just her and Penelope.

Penelope cleared her throat trying to remind Dr. Frank that she was still in the room.
"so that's it, you're just going to give up on me and my family?" the tone in her voice surprised Penelope herself but she couldn't help it, she was angry.
Dr. Frank stood emotionless, now turning towards Penelope acknowledging her presence but not looking into her protruding brown eyes, as if he was too good in his stupid white coat and cracked hands from being washed too many times. he was maybe in his late 40's Penelope had guessed, not even a single look of emotion on his dumb face. 

"Look Penelope I know you're young and you don't quite understand any of this but it's what's best for all of us. you're not the only one dying here, kid." a bit taken back by the doctors words Penelope for once shut up in her life... but that only lasted for a second.

"I'm sure I have an understanding of my own goddamn life." Penelope snapped, "but what I don't understand is why I'm the one who is suffering here, going through all of this pain, being poked at and stabbed at like a pincushion and yet your life is ending too but in a much more pleasurable way than me? you're not the one in pain. I even lost all of my fucking hair for this? just so I'd be told 'we are giving up'?"

Penelope's mother has now gone white and speechless. a small women she was, never spoke up for anything in her 40 years of life but Penelope couldn't blame her. with her father constantly jamming down words along the line of "women should not have a voice" down her poor mothers throat ever since she was 20. the bravest thing that women ever did do was pack her 12 year old daughter and a suitcase full of clothes into a little blue van leave that God awful excuse for a man behind four years ago.