Chapter 12

I don't know how long I stand frozen in the foyer, but it feels like an eternity before I feel grounded enough to walk into the living room where I sink onto one of the couches.

Henry settles next to me. His father sits across from us while I hear Helen ordering the chef to bring me tea before coming over and joining her Match on the opposite couch.

Chef comes out of the kitchen and places a cup of tea on the coffee table in front of me. I immediately reach for it and start to bring the cup to my lips. Henry puts his hand on my arm, stopping my progress. I turn to him, confused.

"You could burn yourself." His fingers close over mine and he gently takes the cup from me and puts it back on the table. "I think you should go upstairs and rest."

I shake my head and grip his hand tightly, stilling him. "If it's all right, I would prefer to not be alone right now."

"I'll stay with you. But first, let me get you a pillow and blanket."

I let him go and watch him leave, and as I do, I can feel my in-laws silently watching our interaction.

"Everything will be okay, Rosemary," Helen offers in consolation.

I know she means it sincerely, but the words don't calm me like I know she intended.

The President doesn't say anything to me, but instead curses under his breath. His wife pats his shoulder, but he shrugs her off. "What were they thinking? To break protocol is unheard of."

"I'm sure the Chief Justice had good reason to shift the departure schedule without giving you advance warning."

"They have yet to tell me why," he grumbles.

Henry returns at that moment and eyes his parents before turning his attention back to me. I turn sideways so I can lean on the arm and he lays the blanket over me. "Sit up," he tells me. I do, and he places the pillow behind my back. He hands me my cup of tea. "I think it's cooled enough."

I take a sip and am glad when I feel the warmth spread from my stomach through the rest of my body.

The bell chimes signaling it is time for dinner.

"Do you want to eat here?" he asks.

"Don't be ridiculous, we'll all eat in the dining room," his mother says, her concern for my emotional well-being apparently a thing of the past now that her routine is being threatened. Normally, it wouldn't bother me, but she had always seemed more welcoming than Mr. Clark. And given our afternoon together, her quick dismissal stings stronger than if it had been the President who said those insensitive words.

I see Henry cut a sharp look at his mother, but doesn't argue. He helps me up and wraps his arm around the small of my back, supporting me as if I'll collapse from the emotional strain of the news. He pulls my chair out as usual and takes a seat beside me instead of across from me.

Wyatt joins us and from his happy demeanor appears to have been left out of the loop. I envy his ignorance.

The meal is devoid of conversation, silent except for the sound of us our utensils hitting our plates as we eat. I keep my head down and eyes on my food to avoid any pitying glances from Henry or his parents.

When we have all finished eating, I excuse myself and retreat into the bedroom. Henry enters only a few moments later and the door closes behind him, encasing us in our own cocoon.

Rather than sitting next to me on the bed, he stands near the entrance and silently studies me for a few moments as I maintain eye contact with him. "You know you can talk to me about anything, right?"