Chapter 8

I open my eyes and see Henry sitting across from me, staring at his tablet. I'm still lying down and covered in blankets, but someone must have carried me into the car. I sit up run a hand through my hair, making sure no stray pieces are sticking out. Through the window, I see that we are moving, but since I don't recognize the scenery, I have no idea how far into the trip we are. Another mug of tea is set beside me and I take a long sip.

Henry looks up and says, "You're awake." His voice rings with uncertainty and I realize he's nervous about where our last argument left us. "We're taking a back route through Amour," he says, answering my silent question. "We still have a long way to go."

I sit up and rub the last sleep from my eyes. I open my tablet and resume reading the documents Helen's assistant has sent me.

When I notice Henry reopens his own tablet, I put mine down and watch him in silence. He hasn't brought up my sister again, and while I'm afraid to do it, I know we need to talk about what's happening at some point.

He looks up and catches me staring. "Rosemary, I'm sorry about what I said earlier, but you have to know that I didn't intend for you to interpret it that way."

"I know," I say. "Just give me some time to get over it."

He starts to rise from his seat, but I shake my head. He pauses, then sits back down. We spend the rest of the ride in silence.

When we finally pull up to the Presidential Mansion, it's fully dark and I'm relieved to leave the car. Henry walks out first and holds his hand out for me and I take it, despite enjoying and encouraging our separation during the ride. I see him smile and I experience an unexpected rush of happiness despite my earlier reservations.

"I know we have our issues right now," he tells me softly, "but it would be best if we could put those aside for now."

I nod though I don't know why we would need to hide our problems among his family. As we get closer, the white mansion seems to grow even more imposing and I move closer to Henry. He instinctively wraps his arm around my waist and I allow myself to enjoy the warmth generated between our bodies. Somehow, the proximity calms my nerves about moving in with his parents and I focus almost solely on Henry.

He turns and looks down at me with a tamer version of the expression he wore before our first kiss. "May I kiss you?" he asks.

I nod and his lips are immediately on mine. I hear the door open and we quickly pull away from each other to see his parents in the doorway. A blush immediately detonates on my cheeks, but I resist the urge to duck my head and hide.

"Get inside," the President says gruffly, moving out of the way so we can follow his order.

Helen says, "Please excuse him. As you can understand, we're tense."

The inside foyer is grander than I ever could have possibly imagined. The white marble floor glistens from the light cast by the diamond chandeliers above from ceilings so high that I have to crane my neck back to fully take them in.

I hear someone running, and then all of a sudden I feel a small body slam into me as small arms wrap around my knees. His younger brother Wyatt looks up at me and smiles. "You're here!"

I detach him so I can lower myself onto my knees, bringing us to a more even height. "I am. Have you missed us, Wyatt Jackson?"

He nods, then dashes up the stairs without another word.

I turn to see Henry watching me with a smile and hesitantly return one of my own. He offers his hand and brings me to my feet.

Helen says, "Your belongings have been moved into Henry's room."