CHAPTER 1

҉Rose's POV҉

Beep. Beep. Beep.

I woke up to the most annoying sound in the world, which was coming from somewhere close to my aching head. My vision was blurry, but when my eyes adjusted to the spotlights above me, I took in my surroundings – green walls, pale blue curtains covering a large window, a computer screen showing scribbled lines, needles dug into my hand. Where in the hell am I, was all I could think about, and then it hit me. The annoying sound was coming from the computer screen, which I finally recognised as a heart rate monitor. I slowly realised that I was lying in a hospital bed, but I hadn't the slightest clue as to why.

What happened to me was the first question that popped into my head. Getting the answer to that question might probably explain why I'm in the hospital, I thought to my-

"Hey!"

My thoughts were interrupted by a faintly recognizable voice. I turned my head to its source and saw someone standing in the doorway, more a silhouette than the actual person.

"You're finally awake," the figure said coming closer to the bed where I lay. It turned out to be a guy, who's vaguely familiar sky blue eyes were staring down at me so intently that the next line of questions popped into my head: Who is he? How does he know me? Why do I feel like I know him? He seemed like my only hope of getting the answers so I started off with my safest option.

"Who are you?" I asked him, trying my best to hide the fear I'm sure my eyes were showing. He could have been the one to put me in this position after all, so I had to make sure he wasn't here to make sure the job was done – as in kill me for good.

"You don't remember me?" he asked seeming quite hurt to have heard my question.

"What happened to me?" I started listing out my questions before they drove me crazy, completely ignoring the pained expression on his face – I was never one to be good at patience. "Why am I in hospital and how do you know me?"

"I'm," he paused as if to think of what he should call himself, "a friend."

He didn't look at me when speaking those words, which led me to believe that he wasn't telling me the truth.

"You're lying," I said brows furrowed to show my anger. He jerked his head up to look at me, and there no mistaking the pain I saw in his eyes, that were now a startling cobalt, along with something else. Hope? But I didn't understand why. "Are you the reason I'm in this state?"

"Never," he said, tears threatening to spill out any time. It made me want to break down as well. "I would never do anything to hurt you."

I actually believed him because there was something about the way he said it – the sincerity and tenderness in his voice, that I just couldn't find it in me to doubt him any further. I saw a tear roll down his cheek, and I knew I had to apologise for assuming he was the reason I was in hospital.

"I'm sorry," I said fighting back my own tears. I was strong in general, but I was always an emotional wreck when it came to seeing someone else cry, especially if I was the reason behind their tears.

"Don't be," he said, looking away and wiping his cheeks hastily. "I don't blame you for thinking it was me. You don't remember anything do you?"

"Well, it's not like I don't remember anything," I said, trying to search my memory for something as proof.

"Do you remember the date?"

"Yeah," I said after thinking long and hard. "It's the 5th of August."

I was so sure of myself when I said it, but the look on his face took away all my certainty. He stared at me for a few seconds with disbelieving eyes, and then looked down at the floor. He didn't look at me when he asked me to tell him the year as well.

"2014."

He huffed out a breath and just nodded. This guy was driving me crazy with the amount of suspense he was creating. I started thinking that I had gotten the date correct, until he spoke up.

"It's the 7th of September," he said, still not looking up from his steady gaze of the floor, "and the year is 2015."

It felt like he didn't wish to look up, with the amount of hesitation in his eyes, but he looked up at me nonetheless. All I could do was to stare at him in shock horror. How could I forget a whole year? What happened to me that made me forget? I was starting to sweat, and I didn't know why. Everything around me started moving, and I felt like I was being sucked into a whirlpool. I closed my eyes only to hear him come closer.

"Hey, you okay?" he asked me, voice full of concern.

I wanted to tell him that my mind was playing tricks on me, that I was going crazy, but everything went dark and quiet around me. I was once again lost to the real world and back into the world I never knew existed.