CHAPTER 2

҉Tyler's POV҉

Who are you?

That one question was making me go crazy. I kept hearing her say it over and over again in my head. And then she asked me if I was the one who did it. As if she not remembering me wasn't bad enough. I couldn't get it out of my head, the look she had on her face when she asked those questions – confusion and fear.

Rose was scared of me.

"Miss Carter is suffering from Amnesic Syndrome," said Dr Blaine. "She has forgotten about a whole year of her life, judging from the date she stated. It's better not to push her to remember anything. Although there is the possibility of her remembering everything, there is also the potential danger about her not being able to remember anything at all. Sometimes, patients don't wish to remember because the traumatic experience puts a big strain on their brains. But in some cases, they don't remember anything because of the injuries they sustain."

"So what you're saying is that she doesn't want to remember, or that she won't be able remember anything at all?" It wasn't so much of a question, but a statement that I was confirming.

"Mr. Wilson, just like you didn't give up on her when she was in a coma for 2 months, I would advise you not to give up on her now. She doesn't remember you, but she might be able to. You can try and get her to remember some things that both of you shared, but I would recommend not pushing her, as it could be life threatening for her to have everything flooding back all at once. She might have a nervous breakdown, even worse than the one you just witnessed her having."

"I understand Dr.," I said, still not being able to cope with the thought of losing her. How I was going to make her remember me, when, if she would finally remember, she could possibly die, I just didn't know. "I'll try my best to get her to remember me without trying to hurt her any more than she already is."

Dr. Blaine just nodded, and I left his office. I walked slowly back to the room where Rose was lying unconscious yet again. I heard the loud pounding of my footsteps, but I was pretty sure it was just my head exaggerating the sound. The nurse, who came in the room when Rose was having a mental collapse, was still there as I entered the room. She was an elderly looking woman, probably in her fifties, and her name tag read Kate.

"I've lightly sedated her to calm her down," Kate said, smiling sadly at me. "Don't worry, she'll wake up soon."

A 'Thank you' was all I could muster up, as I stared at Rose lying helplessly in the hospital bed. My throat tightened as I thought she didn't deserve to be here. Kate, the nurse, was kind enough to let me sob in privacy. I took a seat as close as I could to Rose, and as soon as I heard the door click shut, I broke down. I let my tears flow freely down my face, whilst holding Rose's hand, not caring what anyone would think if they suddenly entered the room. I was too shattered by the fact that she didn't remember me; the first time we met and all the times we spent together. I cried even harder when I thought about losing her, because I had dedicated my entire existence to her ever since I laid eyes on her – even before she knew me.

I remembered it like it was yesterday. I was at one of the college open days, and that's the first time I saw her. I was heading inside the college building with my friends and something really shiny caught my eye. I turned my face toward the crowd, and I saw her talking to someone, dressed in a simple outfit – black top with light blue jeans. Her beautiful chocolate brown hair were shining red in the sun, and a light breeze kept flipping it across her gorgeously perfect face – big green eyes, a cute little nose, well-defined cheek bones, and plump lips. She reached up to pull her hair out of her eyes, and I was hung up on her delicately soft hand – I actually wanted to touch it to see if it was as soft as I thought. But it was her smile that totally took my breath away.

"Shiny hair," I thought aloud.

"Are you a magpie or something?" Jessica, my best friend asked me with a curious expression. Her blue eyes, a lighter shade of my baby blues, followed my gaze and smirked. "Like what you see, huh?"

"Shut up," I said to her, but secretly I was nodding like an idiot.

The girl didn't look my way though, and when she walked off with her friend, I turned and went inside the building with Jessica. I kept thinking about her after that day, until the day finally came when I met her in person. The day we first officially met was a week from that day at the college. I was walking down the High Street, and she was coming out of a cafe with a cup of coffee in her hand. She didn't see me, and by the time I saw her, it was too late. All her coffee went flying on my shirt, and damn was it hot. When I looked up at her, I realised she was even more beautiful up close, even though her face was twisted up in horror.

The thought of the expression on her face made me chuckle slightly, and I squeezed her hand tighter. She was still lying lifelessly in front of me; only the sound of the heart rate monitor gave me confirmation that she was alive. A buzz from my phone brought me back to reality. I took out my phone from my pocket and saw it was a text from my mom.

'Tyler sweetie, how is she doing?'

'She finally woke up, but then she had a slight panic attack and now she's sleeping again.'

'Hang in there my boy.'

I didn't reply because I didn't know what to say. I was so happy when Rose awoke that I texted my mom as soon as I saw her. But little did I know that life wasn't on my side. I put my phone back in my pocket. My mom was a great person; so loving and caring, even towards Rose. She really liked her, and even told me that she can see the both of us in the future, living a happy life. The only thing she didn't see was that night. I closed my eyes, to try and block out the memories, and before I knew it, I fell asleep.