Twenty Four

Jade's screams didn't cease, and my worry grew with each second. I tried putting my attention into Jesy sitting in front of me. I tried to determine how she was feeling, but it was pretty obvious what the three of us were feeling: worry.

Her screaming ceased, and we looked to each other, each of us wondering if Jade was okay. We waited a few seconds, and no sounds were heard. The silence was almost eerie and made me grow more anxious by the second.

   Footsteps caught my attention as they approached the room, and I hoped that it was Jade coming towards us with a big smile on her face. However, it was Jade's dad who entered the room with a concerned look on his face. Dropping the ice pack, I stood up from my spot on the couch. "Where's Jade? Is she okay? Can I see her?" I frantically asked. Tears began rolling down my cheeks slowly as I imagined the worst. I tried walking around him to get to her, but he stopped me by putting his hand on my shoulder.

   "Stay calm, Perrie. The procedure went fine, and her wings have been removed." He said.

   "Then where is she? Why can't I see her? and why do you look so worried?" I asked him, my tone laced with urgency.

   "She has fainted from the pain. Her wings were quite black which makes them very difficult to remove. I was able to complete the process, but now we must wait. If or when she wakes up, I'll let you see her right away."

   "If she wakes up? You don't know if she'll wake up?" My voice broke as the tears began falling faster. I saw Jade's father's eyes getting watery. He had just got his daughter back, but he could just as easily lose her. I looked to Jesy. She had her head in her hands as she grieved. Her best friend could be gone.

   "I'm sorry. The only thing we can do now is wait." He muttered.

   "Why can't I see her now?" I asked another time.

   "There are a lot of gruesome sights in that room that aren't meant for the human eye, and Jade can't be moved because we wouldn't want to cause her anymore pain. It's best if you were to stay out here." he said. I nodded and sat back down beside Jesy.

   I cried into my hands as Jade ran through my mind. I looked up as Leigh moved from her spot on the couch over to next to me. She outstretched her arms and I fell into them as I cried on her shoulder. "Shh, shh, Perrie. She'll be okay. Everything will be fine." She tried to console me. "Be strong. Be strong for Jade."

   I sniffled and sat up. I wiped my eyes. "I'm going to get some air. Come get me as soon as possible if she wakes up," I said to Leigh and Jesy. Leigh nodded, but Jesy continued to cry. I walked to the back door of the house, and walked out onto the back deck. The trees that went on for miles were a beautiful sight. As I stood there with my hand on the railing, I imagined Jade and I walking through this forest hand in hand. I imagined us exploring, making jokes, smiling, laughing, and loving.

    I jumped as the door opened. I looked back to see Jesy emerging from the house. She looked like she was barely holding up and I imagined that my expression reflected hers.

   "What if she's gone?" Jesy spoke first. She stood beside me looking to the forest in no place in particular. "I just got her back, and now I could lose her again, and it's my fault. I should've came down sooner. I should've worked faster."

   "It isn't your fault. It's just how things worked out, and you shouldn't be here beating yourself up for this. Right now, you should be hoping and praying that Jade will wake up. You should be holding onto hope; that's what I'm trying to do. And if she is gone," I paused, my voice cracking. "If she is gone, you can come home with me, and we will grieve and we will mourn, but we will keep her in our hearts forever because we know how much of an amazing person she is."

   She nodded fighting back tears. Jesy opened her mouth to speak, but was interrupted by the sound of the door opening. We looked over to see Eve motioning for us two to come inside. Hope filled me as I walked into the house. I anxiously followed Eve as she lead us to the living room. When I got to the living room, I saw Jade laying on the couch on her stomach. Two ice packs sat on her back. She was sweaty as her hair stuck to her forehead. I walked over happily and kneeled down so my face was level with hers.

   "Hey Perrie," she said weakly.

   "Hey, babe. I'm glad you're okay." I replied smiling. Tears slowly ran down my face, but these were happy tears.

   "Me too, but I could really use a kiss right now." She giggled, and I leaned in.