14

"What do you mean?" Cinder asked, the words tumbling out of his mouth in shaken fear. "I-I.... I saw what it means to fall into black magic. There was no controlling that."

"There isn't. Well. Not that we know of anyway," Jika said.

His uncertainty didn't help Cinder. A cold silence had fallen after the druid spoke. It was heavy. At least that was how it felt to Cinder. It was almost as if he couldn't breathe. Like something was crushing down on his chest. The idea that his father wanted him to go black was insane. Cinder's hands were shaking, the terrifying thoughts sent a flood of adrenaline through him. The kind that made him want to run and hide away forever.

Kydyn shifted and took hold of Cinder's hand. He tightened his grip, giving Cinder something solid to cling to. "First off. That prick isn't going to succeed in making you black. I'll kill him first. Secondly, we'll figure out what it is he knows. If there is a way to control someone who's gone into black magic. Then we'll be prepared."

Cinder stared at Kydyn in shock. Was it possible for the warlock to have been... comforting him? It was hard to tell. After all, his lips were pulled up in the usual grin, and a wild light burning in his gaze. Cinder could only nod in agreement though. Whether he meant to or not, his words had helped. Even if they were venomous. Kydyn tightened his grip even more before he let go. The warmth that had soaked into Cinder's fingers tingled as it started to ebb away.

"We have a lot to do then," Syl said. "We also can't stay here for much longer. We're lucky to have Jika with us to heal the wounded as quickly as he has."

"Where are we going?" Cinder asked.

"Another hide out. We have several spread throughout the city. Some are underground. I think that's where we'll go. The one on the southern end. An old underground railway station used to run the length of the city. In any case. Anywhere but here. Dean's transportation spell left a trail. One that Iriyn can follow quite easily. I'm sure he's following it now. The sooner we move the better."

That ended the meeting and Syl's group got up from the table where they'd been sitting. As they left the room, Syl remained along with Cinder and Kydyn. She was watching Cinder, her fingers laced together up next to her mouth. It was a little unnerving, to stare into her rust colored eyes. As the door closed to the room, Cinder took a breath and settled his raging thoughts enough to ask her what he'd always wanted to know. "What were they like?"

"Who?"

"My parents. Did you know them?"

Syl hummed softly, her eyes closing as she leaned off to the side in her chair. "Yeah. I knew them. Iriyn and Reesa. At first glance, they were nice people. The perfect couple who most everyone else envied. They did everything together. It was rare to see them separate of one another. Unless they were working, but that was a given of course."

"So he wasn't always a douchebag," Kydyn butted in.

"You don't have to be here," Syl retorted, glaring at him.

Kydyn just shrugged and flashed a smile. He tilted the chair back and might have put his boots up on the table, but Syl's mouth twitched into a brief frown accompanied by a darker look that kept him from doing it. Cinder ignored him. It was getting easier to do, much like Jika ignored him almost all the time. "What changed?"

"Not sure." Syl shrugged, then rested her chin in the palm of her hand, fingernails curling up to her cheek. "Reesa was pregnant with you. Iriyn started working more. Said it was to help pay for the hospital bills. Though everyone knew your parent's were more than well off. After you were born, they took time off. They were gone for a good six months or so. Advantages of being rich I suppose. Then, when he came back to work. He was different."