17

"Can't sleep?"

Kydyn had dozed off for a long time, but Cinder hadn't found an ounce of sleep at all. Cinder was on his side as he gazed out into the dark room. The curtains were pulled shut, helping to keep the dawn out. "Sorry, did I wake you?"

"No."

He means yes. Cinder had been tossing in the bed out of frustration. He couldn't find a comfortable position. Not that falling asleep fully clothed was all that comfortable either, but he'd done it before. Cinder couldn't get the visions out of his head. Worry was thick and it was making him sick to his stomach.

"Come here."

Cinder heeded the request and rolled over so that he could be wrapped up in Kydyn's embrace. They were silent for a long time again and Cinder was pretty certain the warlock had drifted yet again. He just lay there, letting Kydyn hold him however he wanted. "Your eyes are extremely beautiful to look into when you're star gazing."

The sudden compliment startled Cinder. He looked up to see Kydyn grinning at him. Heat pricked across his face and Cinder looked away. Curling closer, he kept his face hidden from the warlock who enjoyed making him blush as well as irritating him. He wasn't sure which one Kydyn liked most.

"Whys that?"

"They reflect the night sky. A thousand glittering stars appear in those green eyes of yours. It's really amazing. I like watching you when you star gaze."

"That's creepy."

Kydyn snickered at him. "If you could see what I see when you do it, you would agree with me."

Cinder smiled despite not wanting to. He laughed too, burying his face against Kydyn's chest. The jacket was gone, yanked off at some point during the night when they'd climbed into bed, but his shirt remained. Cinder almost wished he hadn't kept it on. Or any of his clothes for that matter. He recalled how he'd kissed Kydyn and earned his sexy arousal partway through.

"You know. We never finished," Cinder said playfully. He traced his hand down Kydyn's chest, enjoying the lean muscle he could feel under the cloth.

"Finished what?"

"Don't play dumb. You know what."

Kydyn laughed. "You're the one who started it and never finished. So don't blame me."

"Oh, so you were waiting on me? How unlike you. You're so selfish all the time I was expecting you to jump me once we got in here."

"I'm not that much of a jerk," Kydyn scoffed. "Besides, you weren't exactly in the mood for sex. It would have been wrong."

"The hot headed warlock has a sense of guilt? Wow. I never took you for that."

Kydyn laughed. The sweet kind that Cinder had only heard once before. He could listen to that sound all day and never get tired of it. Cinder smirked as he watched Kydyn. It took the warlock a little bit to get over his laughter and Cinder was feeling rather proud of himself for it. Cinder was learning that Kydyn had more than just the jagged edges to his personality.

Cinder had leaned forward, getting closer to Kydyn as he planned on kissing him and reigniting the passion that had sparked in the backyard before he star gazed. Instead of kissing though, Cinder flinched as a resounding boom echoed through the house. Both of them froze, looking toward the door in confusion. Kydyn was the first to get up off the bed. Cinder sat up and watched as he went to the door.