4: The Party's Hopping

Glass panes of windows are pulsing, music is blasting, bodies are thrashing, feet are stomping, lights are strobing, and as I'm having the time of my life with my new best friends I have the feeling of eyes glowering at me. Hinata is grinning from ear to ear, having stepped out of her shell with the aid of a couple drinks, and she spins me around. I sway my hips to and fro and duck under her arm, catching the gazes of Ino and Sakura. They side-step back and forth, trying to hide their faces behind red solo cups that are probably filled with flavoured water. I toss my head to the music and spin back around to face Hinata, lightly hip-bumping Tenten as she rejoins us from getting drinks.

I can feel the vibrations in the air pulsing in my brain and shaking in my hand as she hands me an Old Fashioned in a disposable cup. We dance side by side, backs rubbing together in a display men would find arousing. I run a hand through the loose curls I've in a high ponytail, pursing my lips and winking at a boy in front of me. In the din, I can see his cheeks darken and a smile to myself as I bend around to face Tenten and Hinata again. I lean in close this time and they follow suit. "Is it just me, or have Sakura and Ino been watching me all day?" It's a miracle they can hear me, but Tenten shimmies her shoulders and throws her free hand in the air as she nods. Her wavy hair tumbles over her shoulders and she shakes it around, smiling all the while. Hinata sidles closer, leaning against me, and I smell the alcohol on her breath.

"I heard them talking about it earlier in cheer practice; they think you want to ask Sasuke out. They don't want that to happen so they're probably trying to intimidate you from afar." I toss my head around, thrashing to my hips to the beat and laugh gleefully.

"Of course! Because they have nothing better to do!" I roll my eyes dramatically and chug half my drink, feeling the delectable smoky burn of bourbon slide down my throat.

♥ ♥ ♥

The music gets louder, filling my ears and trembling in my veins. My entire body quakes with the drums and the wailing of the guitars. Lyrics write themselves on my skin and notes dance through my fingers. I feel myself twist and turn to the bars, my head leaning back and my hair cascades behind me in a black waterfall of curls. My heart is a drum, pulsing out the backbone of music-the all-important rhythm. Vaguely, through the haze of bourbon and gin, I can feel the sting of my smile in my cheeks; my enjoyment of this music and noise and dancing. My hands are in Hinata's and Tenten's, and we spin and bump and giggle through clumsy people and past stationary furniture. The living room is cast in a dull, red light that sucks up other colours but the kitchen is brightly lit and stings unaccustomed eyes. We trip over our feet, stepping on each other's toes, and laugh loudly with smiles stretching wider.

I feel my back stretch up and my spine cracks a little, my head clearing a bit. I feel so liberated, and buzzed, and I resolve to drink a bottle of water after I fix myself a Tom Collins cocktail. Tenten giggles, leaning heavily against me, as we line up at the drink counter. I slide the bottles of booze away from her and roll my neck stiffly. "As fun as all the dancing is, I'm getting a little stiff." I say, mixing liquids into a red solo cup.

"It's because inside is crowded; when the Ninjas are ready we'll be moving outside." Hinata hiccups and fumbles to get the bottle of soda water open. I watch her, her hands twisting fruitlessly against the cap.

"Want help?"

"Please..." She hands the two litre bottle over to me, almost dropping it past my hands. I catch it easily and pop the top, releasing a long hiss of carbonation. I fill up an empty cup and hand it to her.