1

3 years ago

"Happy Birthday!!!"

His family and friends screamed as he entered his house. Each one of them approached him to greet and hug him.

It was the perfect scene. Everyone in his life happy, healthy, and together. And as they walked through the house to the backyard, he saw that it was perfectly set up and decorated.

Except something -- no someone -- was missing: the person who surely set this whole thing up.

"James, kain ka muna," Yassi told him, pointing to the line of people waiting to get food.

"Ummm... yea. Wait, Yass," he called out to her as she walked to the end of the line.

She turned around with eyebrows raised.

"Where..." not wanting everyone to know that he was looking for her.

Yassi chuckled, "It's your birthday, James. Wag kang magalala."

The party continued and Nadine was still not there partying it up with them. He got up from his conversation with Henz and Bret to look for her when the lights dimmed.

"Happy birthday to you," a woman sang.

That was her voice. But where was she?

Everyone started to sing along with her voice, "... happy birthday, dear Hayme. Happy birthday to you!"

He turned around to see her face lit up by the candles on the cake she was holding.

"Where have you been?" James asked.

Nadine barely laughed, but her eyes twinkled from amusement. "Shhh.... Mag wish ka muna."

He closed his eyes to make a wish and blew out the candles.

Cheers emerged from the whole crowd while Nadine placed the cake on the center table. It was already cut into pieces so it would be easy to plate.

James walked up to her and threw an arm around her shoulders, "You didn't answer me."

Nadine shook her head, "Bakit? Ayaw mo ng cake?"

"Naddie...I have the dare."

Her eyes grew wide and she turned around to face him.

"James, birthday mo ngayon. Wag dito."

He chuckled, "Oh, bakit? Backing down?"

"Akala ko, punta ka dito para mag-thank you ka sakin. Pero hindi pala," turning back around to plate more cakes that Yassi and Donnalyn were passing out.

"Thank you, Nads. It's perfect. But consider this your birthday present to me."

She slammed the utensils down and pointed a finger at him.

"The present is this party. Wag mo sirain, please? I spent a lot of time actually planning this."

He smirked at her and took out a small velvet box. Something the both of them were very familiar with.

"But I finally brought it back with me. Complete the dare and it's all yours."

She huffed and crossed her arms while staring him down. "What?"

__________________________________________________________

James clanked a fork on a champagne glass to get everyone's attention. As soon as everyone quieted down, he started.

"I'd like to thank everyone who came here today. Seeing all of you truly makes me feel special. And thank you to Nadz--"

"May gusto ko sanang sabihin," she got up and cleared her throat.