Chapter 9: Making Headway

The former Rockets sat in the lobby of the Vermillion City Pokémon Center. Normally they were unwelcome there, but their disguises fooled the Nurse Joy and Chanseys that were currently on duty. Jessie wore her hair up in a bun and she was wearing jean shorts and a sapphire t-shirt. James wore the same color clothing and had his hair back in a small ponytail. He also had his glasses on.

"Ok, Miss Jenna and Mr. Jameson. I have your Pokémon all here. Their checkups went well but they seemed pretty tired. A little more rest will do them good", said Nurse Joy as she handed them their Pokeballs.

"Where's Meowth?" asked James. He looked around nervously.

"Don't worry. Your Meowth is fine too. He seemed a bit tense so I sent him for a massage. He should be done any moment now", she said.

"Ok. I guess we'll wait here", said James. He should have known Meowth would take advantage of free massages.

Pokémon got free medical care, checkups, food, and stress relieve treatments such as massages and grooming. Jessie and James had to pay for their food and they hadn't been to the doctors since they first joined Team Rocket several years ago.

"It's times like these I wish I were a Pokémon", said James.

It's okay. You've got me. Jessie started massaging his shoulders. He melted to her touch. She leaned towards him and kissed him. A few minutes later Nurse Joy came back. They immediately stopped and looked at her.

"Okay, break it up", she scowled.

"Um, we're sorry", they mumbled.

"That's alright. I came to tell you that your Meowth went to the Poke café to eat. You can meet him there", she told them.

"Ok, James. Let's go", said Jessie. She grabbed his hand and pulled him towards the cafeteria.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ash, Misty, Serena, Dawn, May, Max, Drew, Iris, Cilan, Clement, and Bonnie were sitting in Professor Oak's lab. Gary and Tracey accompanied them as Professor Oak gave them their updated Pokedexes.

"I know you two are a bit young. But I think that you are ready to receive your own Pokedexes". Professor Oak said to Bonnie and Max.

"Really?!" they both exclaimed.

"Yes. I can see that the two of you are very mature. You won't be allowed to enter gym battles, but if you want to start collecting Pokémon these Pokedexes will serve you well", Professor Oak added. "Also, you can compete in Pokémon contests, as the minimum age is eight".

"I turn eight in a few months!" Bonnie exclaimed.

Max was a year older than her, but he had no interest in doing Pokémon contests. He wanted to be a gym leader.

"Wow I can't believe I can finally start getting and training my own Pokémon. Isn't that illegal though?" asked Max.

"Well, Professors are allowed to make exceptions. My grandpa is very well respected in the Pokémon research and care community, so as long as you have a Pokedex with you, you are eligible to catch and train Pokémon. Since we programed your birth dates into the Pokedex, people will know how old you are when they scan your Pokedex for a contest or official gym battle. According to the official Pokémon League rules, all competitors must be ten or older. But you can catch as many Pokémon and train them", Gary explained.

"I can't wait to catch my first Pokémon!" Bonnie exclaimed.

"Ded ne yay", Dedenne commented. She small electric rodent didn't like the idea of having to share Bonnie.