⇒ Chapter Three

Chapter Three

I wake in the middle of the night a couple nights later to a noise downstairs. I roll over and turn on my bright phone screen, basically blinding myself, to see that it's 2 in the morning. Dad is definitely not up.

I slowly crawl out of my bed and hope that the floor doesn't creak as I hear another noise in the kitchen.

I hold my breath as I turn the corner and see Dad, breaking things. Glass is scattered over the floor, and no lights are on.

I flip the kitchen light on and roll my eyes. He's drunk; he's very drunk.

"Dad, come on, I think its time for bed." I say, taking a drink he had in his hands.

He nods, slowly, and allows me to take him to his bedroom. I pull the covers onto him and make sure that the picture of my mother is facing down before I leave the room. Usually, when he drinks, it's because he's thinking of her.

I keep my door halfway open and crawl back to bed, turning Melanie Martinez off my phone.

⇒⇒⇒

I decide to walk to school the next morning to get there earlier, for a group project assigned with Elena. Dad needs sleep.

I meet Elena in the front of the school, with smiles as greetings. Lately, I've been getting closer to the Gilberts, and after school that's exactly where I'm going. Jenna, their aunt, is very funny and fun to be around, and makes my dad smile.

"Hey, Dani." Jeremy says as we walk past him.

"Hi, Jer." I respond, and I follow Elena around the corner.

We get started on the project, when I get a weird feeling in my stomach. Not so much as butterflies, or nervousness, but more of the quenching feeling that you get when you watch a horror movie.

Stefan sits down next to Elena, and I bite my lip. He notices my nervousness, and asks "what's wrong?"

"Nothing, I just, um," I search for words. "My stomach hurts."

"Oh, okay." Elena says, but Stefan looks at me still. He's trying to figure out my expression.

"Let's do this thing." I say.

I feel arms wrap around me, and I jump, ready to fight, but I turn to see Matt, smiling.

"Sorry I scared you." He laughs. "You were about to start punching."

I laugh and suddenly forget the feeling I had when Stefan entered the room.

⇒⇒⇒

Sorry for the long wait for a sucky chapter.
Don't forget to vote and comment!