You Opened My Eyes And You Made Me Believe.

-Jadey.

When I walk through the door, I know I’m the only one present in the house. It’s cold, dark and deadly silent. As I walk through the hallway the ground creaks underneath my bare feet, warm from just being inside my boots. My hunger for food is unreal, but as I turn into the kitchen and open the fridge, the only thing inside is a note and £30. I read the all too familiar handwriting.

I knew you’d check the fridge first. Gone out. Here’s some money, back in a few days. Mum. P.s if a fat bald man knocks looking for me, you have no idea who I am you got that?

I scrunch the note up and throw it in the bin.

My mum has always been like this. When I was little, my mother never remembered to pick me up from school, she was always drunk. It all started when my Dad left when I was four, she has never been the same since. We hardly ever talk and I rarely see her, I have no idea what she does or where she goes, but there’s always somewhere she has to be.

I slump up the old staircase and when I get to my room, I fall helplessly to a deep sleep.

-Tom.

It’s just after New Year when we finally move in properly. Leaving all of my friends back in New York was one of the easiest things I’ve had to do.

I’ve never had trouble fitting in; I’ve always been the best at sports and the best looking guy. Girls went weak at the knees for me and every dude in school wanted to be me. I loved it. I had people dreaming of just talking to me and girls trying to steal my towels and clothes in gym class. I used to train everyday and worked my way to a six pack, I towered over all of the teachers but some of my friends were a lot taller than me and I had the famous hair flick that girls squealed at and guys stared in awe, hopefully one day getting great tousled mousey brown hair like mine.

I was a player, everyone knew it but no one cared, they thought I was perfect.

So why am I so relieved to be out of there?

-Jadey.

Now the weather’s getting better, I’m starting to slowly go back to the field. The snow cleared on Boxing Day and now it’s nearly February, the nights are getting lighter and the sun is appearing out of the clouds more and more each day.

Today, I have my camera with me. I plan on taking some pictures for my portfolio of me spinning in the flowery part of the field. I have brought along my new tripod I got for Christmas from my Grandma and also my ipod. Walking down Hidden Creek, the road in front of the woods, I smell the sweet smell of cookies, I look around and see someone had left them in their little windowsill, the window wide open. They look delicious.

After jumping off of the rock and onto the moist, cold ground I stand and begin to walk in the direction I have been walking for years. I have a smile on my face.

God have I missed this place.

-Tom.

“Fuck you Dad!” I scream into the phone. As I turn out of the house, I walk down the street and come to a massive collection of rocks, I hesitate. “How dare you speak to me like that?!” I hear from the other end of the phone. Looking around, I see no sign saying I can’t explore what’s behind them but still weary if I’m allowed to go through or not. As I close the phone, ending the argument with my father, I say ‘fuck it’ and jump over them, falling onto the muddy ground below.

I continue walking. Why does he give a shit what I do in school anyway? He’s never cared before. I think to myself. Mum doesn’t care, she says I’m fine. And now he’s gone and taken my allowance from me!