Innocent.

-Jadey.

For the first time in my life I stood up for myself. I never really thought I’d have the guts to do it, I just hoped one day I could at least say something to make her stop, never mind hitting her.

When the bell goes, I get up out of my isolation desk and head out of the door for break. In isolation, I have to have break and lunch after everyone else. I guess its punishment. For me it’s heaven.

Walking down the empty hallways I slowly make my way to the cafeteria to buy myself a drink. My change shakes in my hands as I tap a beat on my legs and start singing to one of my favourite songs. As I push open the giant doors in front of the hall, I notice all the dinner ladies are back in the kitchen preparing for lunch, I hear them laughing and singing along to an old radio-station playing music from the 80’s. I don’t disturb them but grab a milkshake from the fridge and leave a £1 on the side.

Turning around, I look back on the massive cafeteria; empty tables lay before me in perfect lines and shining tops after just being cleaned from break. I decide to head over to my usual table, the one no one but me sits on. It’s towards the left, right at the back in front of the store cupboard. But then it hits me, the thought that I’m alone and no one to throw cake in my hair, or shout ‘Crazy Jadey’ from across the room; no one to tell me where to sit or what to do. 

Tom.

In third period she’s all I can think of.

Jadey.

Time flies by and before I know it, its lunch. When the bell rings, I jump from my seat and slouch across the classroom, pick up my homework and walk out the door.

“Hey Tom.” I hear a girl tease behind me. It’s Elizabeth. Her eyes are puffy and red, as if she’s been crying, poorly covered by eyeliner and a ridiculous amount of foundation.  She has a clear smudge mark of blood from her nose, and a red mark by it. Despite this, she seems normal: Flirty, clueless and pure evil.

I look back, laugh a little at her, shake my head and walk off.

“UH! TOM! WHERE ARE YOU GOING?! I WAS TALKING TO YOU, YOU KNOW!” She calls out to me but I get lost in the ever growing crowd flooding through the corridor.

When I get to lunch, I sit in my usual seat and eat a slice of Pizza from Sam’s plate next to me.

“Oi!” he says and laughs.

“What?” I reply, laughing.

“So, did you hear?” Mark says, sliding into the seat in front of us.

“Hear what?” Sam asks.

“That weird chick beat Liz up.” He replies. I choke on the pizza.

“You alright mate?” Mark asks.

“Erm, yeah. Wrong hole.” I say and look down.

“So anyway, apparently she grabbed her by her hair, threw her into the lockers and punched her three times!” Mark says getting exited in his seat.

“Woah no way man!” Sam says laughing.

“I told you she was weird.” Mark said.

“Nah man, she did what every other girl is scared of doing. She got balls, man.” Sam says.

“She’s fit too.” I say.

They both look at me.

“Hm.” Mark thinks.

“Yeah, I guess so.” Sam says.

“What was wrong with you earlier?” Elizabeth says storming over to us, interrupting our conversation. Mark and Sam get up and walk off, Mark looks back and winks at me. I stand up to face Liz.

“What?”

“You know what.” She says, her big grey eyes piercing into mine.

“I don’t know.”

“Whatever. Look I’m having a house party at mine next Friday. You’re coming right?” She looks up at me, a glimmer of hope in her eyes.

“Erm, yeah I guess.” I shrug and walk off.

“Duuuude!” Dom says as I walk over to him, Mark and Sam after the torturing conversation I’d just had with Liz, who is now sitting on a table painting Carrie’s nails a hot pink colour, laughing and chatting.  “What?” I ask.

“You’re in trouble.”

“I am?” I ask, confused

“Yeah, it’s gonna be hard to shake Elizabeth off, she’s only the hottest and the most powerful girl in school. Well rumour has it that Jadey chick is coming close to her. Did you hear?” He asks.

“Yeah, I just told him.” Mark interrupts.

“What’s her story anyway?” I ask.

“What’s it to you?” Sam says and laughs.

“I don’t know, I just wondered.” I say.

“Well some people say she’s crazy. Nah, that’s just a cover story though.” Dom says.

“Cover story?” I ask.

“Yeah, in Year 7 her Mum totally went wacko and left her at home for like 2 weeks, the whole school got involved and everyone found out about her Mums drink problem, the police got involved and rumours spread. They said she murdered her own father and her mum took to alcohol because of it. It got pretty nasty.” Dom says.

“She killed her Dad?” I ask, shocked.

“The rumours say. But I’m not convinced.” Dom says.

“Are you kidding me? Of course she did.” Sam says.

“Shut up Sam.”  I say.

“Woah. Sorry.” He says sarcastically.

“I gotta go guys..” Mark says, beginning to walk over to Jasmine, his girlfriend.

“I’ll see you at football after school?” he asks.

“Yeah mate.” Sam says.

“Oh, I can’t go.” I say.

“What? Why?” they all ask in unison.

“Erm. My Dad wants me to help at the office.” I say, the first excuse that comes to mind.

“I thought your dad is away all week?” Dom asks.

“Erm, yeah. I meant I have to pick my grandma up from the airport.” I say.

“Dude, you’re in England now. You can’t drive ‘til next year.” Sam says, they all give each other quizzing looks.

“Hey Babe.” Jasmine says to Mark when she finally stops talking to her friends and walks over to us.

“Well hey there.” He says and kisses her. They walk off, hand in hand.  Sam and Dom wolf whistling to them.

“I’ll catch you guys later” I say, laughing and shaking my head at them.